Which Bond is Stronger: Metallic or Covalent?

• Thread starter photon79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bond
In summary, the strongest chemical bonds can be metallic, covalent, or ionic. The melting temperature of a solid can give a rough indication of bond strength, with tungsten having the highest melting temperature of any element. However, the boiling point is a better measure of bond energy, with rhenium having the highest boiling point and thus, likely the highest bond energy. Covalent bonds can also be very strong, as seen in diamond and graphite. Bond energy strengths can vary, with ionic bonds having an average of 5ev per bond, covalent bonds having 1-5ev per bond, and metallic bonds having 1-2ev per atom. It is difficult to calculate exact bond energies, but
photon79
which is the strongest of all the chemical bonds? metallic or covalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
Metallic, or ionic.

but the strong diamond is foemed by covalent bond!

I really don't know, and that's a pretty darn good question. I'd like to know myself from some of the experts.

You can probably tell the bond strength roughly by the melting temperature of the solid, which is where interatomic interactions partially break loose. In this case, tungsten is the solid with the highest melting temperature (at STP) of any element.

But if you take a look at carbon, which essentially is a covalent network solid, it sublimes at a temperature just above tungsten's melting point. This suggests that covalent bonds can be quite tough as well.

The highest melting of any ionic solid that I have encountered is MgO, which liquefies at just over 2800 C. Pretty impressive.

The crystal structure can determine the bond length, and thus, the "hardness". For example, if you look at graphite, the c-axis bonds are very long when compared to the in-plane bonds. So graphite appears to be "soft" simply because one can "shave off" sheets of graphite structure.

On the other hand, the same carbon atoms when arranged in a hexagonal closed-pack, will have extremely short bond length. This produces a stronger material, even when the atom and the type of bonding are the same as graphite.

Zz.

They overlap.

Bond energy strengths can be taken roughly as:

Ionic 5ev (per bond) {with a boiling dissociation >1000K}
covalent 1-5ev (per bond) {boiling dissociation >1000K for non-molecular solids}
metallic 1-2ev (per atom) {boiling dissociation 1000K}

----
intermolecular: hydrogen 0.5ev (per bond)
van der waals 0.1 per atom (or formula unit)

melting temperature isn't a good indicator for bond energy - the boiling point is a better measure.

it seems from what i found so far that Rhenium (with 5627.0 °C boiling temperature) is the matter with the highest bonding energy.
after that you get Tungsten (with 5555°C boiling temperature).

(note that at high temperatures like these the values arent accurate, litterature gives more then one value here for the boiling points, but I am pretty sure that Rhenium has higher boiling temperature...)

while Carbon boils at 4827°C

anyway, i don't know how to calculate these values...
it'll be interesting if anyone around here knew it.

fasterthanjoao said:
They overlap.

Bond energy strengths can be taken roughly as:

Ionic 5ev (per bond) {with a boiling dissociation >1000K}
covalent 1-5ev (per bond) {boiling dissociation >1000K for non-molecular solids}
metallic 1-2ev (per atom) {boiling dissociation 1000K}

----
intermolecular: hydrogen 0.5ev (per bond)
van der waals 0.1 per atom (or formula unit)

but the two matterials with highest boiling points are metals!
i haven't found any ion matterial that has higher boiling point...

can you point me where i could learn to calculate the exact bond energy?

oops, haven't seen ZapperZ answered the OP...
id still like someone to show me where i could learn more about calculating bond energies though...

Covalent bonding is also important in transition metals. It is difficult to distinguish between these contribution. It is all calculated by the same programs.

When considering bonds, one might take into consideration that carbon i diamond only has only four bonds to nearest neighbours, where tungsten has eight (at room temperature) and rhenium has twelve.

hexagonal density makes for some very tough Material.:biggrin:

1. Which type of bond is stronger: metallic or covalent?

The strength of a bond depends on various factors such as the type of atoms involved, the distance between them, and the arrangement of their electrons. In general, metallic bonds tend to be stronger than covalent bonds due to the overlapping of multiple atomic orbitals in metallic bonding.

2. Is the strength of a bond determined solely by the type of atoms involved?

No, the strength of a bond is also influenced by the distance between the atoms and their arrangement in space. For example, a covalent bond between two small atoms can be stronger than a metallic bond between two larger atoms.

3. Can covalent bonds also exhibit some degree of metallic character?

Yes, covalent bonds can have some degree of metallic character, especially in materials like graphite or diamond. In these materials, the covalent bonds between atoms can exhibit delocalized electrons, similar to metallic bonding.

4. Are there any factors that can weaken a metallic or covalent bond?

Yes, various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities can weaken both metallic and covalent bonds. For example, heating a metal can cause it to expand and weaken its metallic bonds.

5. Why do some materials have both metallic and covalent bonds?

Some materials have both types of bonds due to the presence of different types of atoms. For example, in alloys, metallic bonds are present between atoms of the same metal, while covalent bonds are present between atoms of different metals. This combination of bonds can result in unique properties, such as high strength and conductivity.