Cylindrical Coordinates -Div/Curl/Grad

In summary, the author of the content is trying to figure out how to do problem (1) in cylindrical coordinates. The first step is to take the gradient of \theta with respect to r . Then you take the partial derivatives with respect to r , \theta , and z . Finally, you use the product rule to calculate
FrogPad
We just started a section dealing with div/curl/grad in different orthogonal systems... before I get started doing problems involving these operations I wanted to make sure I am dealing with these operation correctly. Our first homework problem is as follows:

In cylindrical coordinates compute:
(1) [tex] \nabla \theta [/tex]
(2) [tex] \nabla r^4 [/tex]
(3) [tex] \nabla \cdot i_r [/tex]
(4) [tex] \nabla \times \nabla \cdot \theta [/tex]

The definition for [tex] \nabla [/tex] in cylindrical coordinate is:
[tex]\nabla f = \frac{\partial f}{\partial r} \hat r + \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial f}{\partial \theta} \hat \theta + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \hat z [/tex]

So...
(1) I first take [tex] \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial r} [/tex] which equals 0. Next I take [tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \theta} [/tex] which equals [tex]\frac{1}{r}\hat \theta [/tex], etc...

so for problem (1)
[tex] \nabla \theta = \frac{1}{r}\hat \theta [/tex]

(2)
[tex] \nabla r^4 = 4r^3 \hat r [/tex]

(3)
[tex] \nabla \cdot i_r = \frac{1}{r} [/tex] from the definition of [tex] div [/tex] in cylindrical coordinates:
[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec F = \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r F_r) + ... [/tex]

(4)
[tex] \nabla \cross \nabla \theta [/tex]
Well from (1) I have [tex] \nabla \theta = \frac{1}{r}\hat \theta [/tex]

The general definition of curl is:

[tex] \nabla \times \vec F = \frac{1}{abc} \left| \begin{array}{ccc} a\hat i_1 & b\hat i_2 & c\hat i_3 \\ \partial u & \partial v & \partial w \\ aF_1 & bF_2 & cF_3 \end{array} \right| [/tex]
where: a=1, b=r, c=1, u=r, v=theta, w=z

Then plugging in the values I get:

[tex] \nabla \times \frac{1}{r}\hat \theta = \frac{1}{r} \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \hat r & r\hat \theta & \hat z \\ \partial r & \partial \theta & \partial z \\ 0 & r(\frac{1}{r}) & 0 \end{array} \right| = 0 [/tex] which is equal to 0, as it should...So does everything look sound? Is my thought process here ok? I\d appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(1) and (2) are fine, What is [tex]i_r[/tex] in (3)? and, about (4), I get

[tex] \nabla \times \nabla \cdot \theta = \nabla \times (\nabla \theta) = \nabla \times \left(\frac{1}{r}\hat \theta\right)
= \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \hat r & \hat \theta & \hat z \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial r} & \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ 0 & \frac{1}{r} & 0 \end{array} \right| = -\frac{1}{r^2} \hat z [/tex]

But I am not sure: what do you think?

Woops sorry I didn't define [itex] i_r [/itex]. That is the books notation for a unit vector for the [itex] r [/itex] component. So [itex] i_r = e_r = \hat r [/itex].

And for (4), isn't a standard identity that:
[tex] \nabla \times \nabla \cdot \vec F = \vec 0 [/tex] for any orthogonal coordinate system?

EDIT:
wait sorry... I looked that up. Its div curl F = 0

Well the book says 0 for (4).

Last edited:
I tried

[tex] \nabla \times \nabla = \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \hat r & \hat \theta & \hat z \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial r} & \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial r} & \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \end{array} \right| = 0\hat r - 0\hat \theta +\left[\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left( \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}\right) -\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \theta \partial r}\right] \hat z = \left[ \left(-\frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \theta \partial r}\right) -\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial ^2}{\partial \theta \partial r}\right] \hat z= -\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta} \hat z [/tex]

which gives the same result as before, but here the order of--I digress: operators get applied rather than multiplied--application of the operators is crucial, for if the other order is taken, there is no product rule and the cross product is identically 0. But your book says it's 0.

I found a definition I could better grasp, your initial calculation is indeed correct! My bad.

No. No bad at all. I really appreciate you looking over it! I was not confident with what I was doing. I didn't feel comfortable applying the operators in different coordinate systems due to the order of the vector components. I HATE dealing in: [tex] F_1 \hat r + F_2 \hat \theta + F_3 \hat z [/tex] notation (unit vector notation ?). I'd much rather handle it in this type of notation: [tex] \left[ \begin{array}{c} F_1 & F_2 & F_3 \end{array} \right] [/tex]But, like anything... I'll just have to do it a few times until I'm comfortable.

Anyways, thanks benorin.

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in three-dimensional space to locate points using the distance from the origin, the angle from a reference direction, and the height above a reference plane.

2. How do you convert between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cosθ
y = r * sinθ
z = h
Where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle from the reference direction, and h is the height above the reference plane. To convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates, you can use the formulas:
r = √(x² + y²)
θ = tan⁻¹(y/x)
h = z

3. What is the divergence in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the divergence is a mathematical operation that measures the rate of change of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ ∙ F and can be calculated using the formula:
∇ ∙ F = (1/r) * (∂(rFr)/∂r + ∂Fθ/∂θ + ∂Fh/∂h)
where Fr, Fθ, and Fh are the components of the vector field in the r, θ, and h directions, respectively.

4. What is the curl in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the curl is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ x F and can be calculated using the formula:
∇ x F = (1/r) * [(∂Fh/∂θ - ∂Fθ/∂h) * er + (∂Fr/∂h - ∂Fh/∂r) * eθ + (∂(rFθ)/∂r - ∂Fr/∂θ) * eh]
where er, eθ, and eh are unit vectors in the r, θ, and h directions, respectively.

5. How do you calculate the gradient in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the gradient is a mathematical operation that measures the rate of change of a scalar field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇f and can be calculated using the formula:
∇f = (∂f/∂r) * er + (1/r) * (∂f/∂θ) * eθ + (∂f/∂h) * eh
where er, eθ, and eh are unit vectors in the r, θ, and h directions, respectively.