Vernal Equinox: Understanding the Yearly Variation

• Thread starter selfAdjoint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variation
In summary, the Vernal Equinox happens on the 20th of March every year, and it is related to the alignment of the Tropical year and the Gregorian calendar date.
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Today, March 20, "is the Vernal Equinox". This event seems to vary yearly between the 20th and the 22d of March, without any obvious pattern. And I wonder if there is any clear description of the relevant variables that cause the variation. I am not iterested in a formula to calculate it, still less a program or simulation, but some reasoning as to how it varies. I presume it is due to the lineup of the tropical year with the Gregorian calendar date, but just how?

I tell people that the equinox happens when the Sun is directly overhead at exactly Noon at some place on the Equator. That acccounts for the odd times of day published but not for the larger scale wanderings.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Think about leap years.

Bystander said:
Think about leap years.

Yes of course, that's why I mentioned the Gregorian Calendar.:biggrin:

That calendar went through one of its long term adjustments six years ago; 2000, although an 'every-four" year, dis not have a leap day; that only happens every 400 years.

So I guess I would be satisfied to know when the Gregorian date and the Tropical day are or last were in sync. Pesumably the Tropical excess accrues at some .22 day through the four years between leap years, achieving something like .88 day by the time the leap day arrives and the difference is reset to -.12 day? This would imply the variation is less than 24 hours, but the actual variation is more like 48 hours.:confused:

The actual needed change would be more like .2425 days / year.
You only need a bit more than 24 hours out of sync spread to get three days not 48.
Just a little before midnight on the 21st puts it into the 20th.
A bit after midnight on the 21st puts into the 22nd.
Probably still the 20th in some time zone every year.

The signs of the zodiac are the same. I was born on Jan. 21, on a cusp, so my astrology friends tell me I'm an Aquarius, but about 1 out of every 4 years, I'm a Capricorn.

1. What is the vernal equinox?

The vernal equinox, also known as the spring equinox, is the point in Earth's orbit around the sun where the sun is directly above the equator. This marks the beginning of spring in the Northern Hemisphere and autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. Why does the date of the vernal equinox change every year?

The date of the vernal equinox changes due to the Earth's tilted axis. As the Earth orbits around the sun, its axis remains tilted at about 23.5 degrees. This causes the sun's position to change relative to the Earth, resulting in the equinox occurring at a slightly different date each year.

3. How does the vernal equinox affect the length of daylight?

The vernal equinox marks the point where the sun is directly above the equator, resulting in nearly equal amounts of daylight and darkness all over the world. As the Earth continues to tilt towards the sun, the length of daylight increases in the Northern Hemisphere and decreases in the Southern Hemisphere.

4. What is the significance of the vernal equinox?

The vernal equinox is significant because it marks the beginning of spring and the end of winter in the Northern Hemisphere. It is also an important event in many cultures and religions, symbolizing rebirth and renewal.

5. How does the vernal equinox affect the Earth's climate?

The vernal equinox does not directly affect the Earth's climate, but it is a key event in the changing of seasons. As the Earth's tilt changes, the amount of sunlight received by different parts of the world changes, leading to changes in temperature and weather patterns.