Friction factor on very very low reynolds number

In summary, the researcher is doing a research about castor oil and has a few confusing problems. The first problem is that the Reynolds number is very low and the friction factor is also high. The second problem is that the researcher does not want to use a pump because it will break the oil's molecule. The researcher thanks people for their help and continues their research.
han168
hai all,
I'm now doing a research about castor oil. I've a got a few a confusing problems..

1. to flow castor oil in a 12 mm acrylic pipe i use a reservoir 1 metres from the outlet. Because castor oil is very thick (dyn visc. = 0.5 Pa-m), the velocity of the flow is very low just about 0.02 m/s, therefore the reynolds number i got is very small just about 0.35. do u guys think it's normal? coz' I've never found any case that has a reynolds number below 1 in an internal flow.

2. related to the first question, i got the friction factor for laminar flow using the eg f=64/Re, so i got about 140-150. do u guys think it's normal to have a friction factor > 1.

that's my confusing problem, btw i don't want to use pump, because pump will break the oil's molecule.

please help me here. =)

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Very low Reynolds numbers are encountered with motor oils. I have an example of oil leakage past a cylinder head/bore in which Re = 0.0375.

The formula I have for volumetric flow rate is

Q = [tex]\frac{\pi\,\Delta{p}D^4}{128\,\mu\,L}[/tex], where D is pipe/tube diameter and L is pipe/tube length, p is pressure, and [itex]\mu[/itex] is dynamic or absolute viscosity.

Q = V A where V is mean fluid velocity.

The f is probably correct for the Re, but I am not familiar with the application at such low Re.

What is the temperature of application?

Last edited:
so u think it's normal to have a friction factor > 1 with such Reynolds number?
the temperatur is ambient about 30 deg Celcius
Thanks btw

han168 said:
Thanks btw

The friction factor for laminar flows can be derived analytically and has a value of 64/Re. There's no further problem if it is larger than one.

han168 said:
Thanks btw
It would appear to be normal for oils, e.g. motor oil in a warm engine. At some point, the oil temperature increases to around 100°C or slightly higher, so viscosity will vary considerably. The dimensions used in lubrication are generally very small (parallel surfaces).

As Clausius2 mentioned it should not be a problem. I believe that f = 64/Re is derived from the formula I posted by virtue of the definition of the Darcy friction factor - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darcy_Friction_factor

See also - http://web.umr.edu/~wlf/MW/HagPoi.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen-Poiseuille_law

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much for the answers..i really really appreciates it. =)

continuing my research about oil for lubricants, could you guys tell me where can i find the rheology overview of oil (viscosity change under shear) chart?
i want to compare it with castor oil..
thanks

1. What is the significance of studying friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless parameter that determines the behavior of fluids in flow. At very low Reynolds numbers, the flow is laminar and the fluid particles move in a smooth, orderly manner. Therefore, studying the friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers can provide valuable insights into the behavior of fluids in this regime.

2. How is friction factor defined for very low Reynolds numbers?

The friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers is defined as the ratio of the shear stress (force per unit area) on the fluid to the product of the fluid density, velocity, and a characteristic length scale. This definition is based on the Navier-Stokes equation, which describes the motion of fluids.

3. What factors affect the friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers?

The friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers is influenced by several factors, including the viscosity of the fluid, the surface roughness of the boundary, and the geometry of the flow. These factors can affect the formation of the boundary layer, which in turn affects the frictional forces and the overall behavior of the fluid.

4. How does the friction factor change as the Reynolds number decreases?

As the Reynolds number decreases, the flow transitions from turbulent to laminar, resulting in a decrease in the friction factor. At very low Reynolds numbers, the flow is dominated by viscous forces and the friction factor approaches a constant value. This is known as the laminar flow regime.

5. How is the friction factor experimentally determined at very low Reynolds numbers?

There are several experimental methods that can be used to determine the friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers. These include flow visualization techniques, pressure drop measurements, and velocity profile measurements. These experiments can be performed in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, to accurately determine the friction factor at very low Reynolds numbers.