Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle

In summary, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that limits our ability to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. It was formulated by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and has implications for the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum systems. The principle states that the more precisely we know one aspect of a particle, the less we know about the other, and that measuring a particle's state can alter it. Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is still relevant and widely accepted in modern physics, and continues to be studied and debated.
physicsss
The energy of a certain nuclear state can be measured with an uncertainty 1 eV. What is the minimum lifetime of this state?

I used (delta_E)(delta_t)=h/(4*pi) and solved for delta_t and got it wrong. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the only way to do it. I what sense did you get it wrong...?

Daniel.

Numerically. I got 3.291E-16, but the computer didn't accept it...

physicsss said:
Numerically. I got 3.291E-16, but the computer didn't accept it...
To three dp, I got 3.297x10^-16, so maybe it's just an approximation error.

1. What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

2. Who discovered Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle was formulated by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. Why is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle important?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is important because it sets a limit on what we can know about the behavior of subatomic particles. It also has implications for the nature of reality and the role of observation in quantum systems.

4. What are the implications of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The implications of Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle are that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa. It also suggests that the act of measuring a particle's position or momentum can alter its state.

5. Is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle still relevant today?

Yes, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is still a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is widely accepted and used in modern physics. It continues to be a topic of study and debate among scientists and philosophers.