Solve the Circuit: Find R1-R7 to Calculate A to B Resistance

In summary, the circuit consists of resistances R1, R2, R3, R4, R5, R6, and R7 connected in a complex series and parallel combination. The equivalent resistance between points A and B can be found by first calculating the combined resistance of R3, R6, and R7 in series, and then combining this with R5 in parallel. Finally, this combined resistance is then added to the remaining resistances in series to get the total equivalent resistance. It is important to note that the combined resistance Rcr can be placed at any location on the extreme right branch of the circuit.
spoonthrower
AxxxxxxR1xxxxxxxxxxxxxR2xxxxxxxxR3xxxxxxx
ooooooooooooooXoooooooooXooooooooooox
ooooooooooooooR4ooooooooR5oooooooooR6
BxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxR7xxxxxx

For the circuit above the x's represent the wire and R represents the resistance. o's just fill in open space - ignore them. Find the equivalent resistance between points A and B.
R1=5 ohms
R2=4 ohms
R3=6 ohms
R4=10 ohms
R5=8 ohms
R6=7 ohms
R7=3 ohms

So i need to find the total resistance in the circuit. I know that R4,5, and 6 are in parallel so their resistance should add up like 1/(1/10+1/8+1/7) to give 2.72 ohms. so the rest of the resistances are in series so you just add them all up right? when i add them all together with 2.72 ohms, I am not getting the right answer. What am i doing wrong? please help. thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
R3, 6 and 7 are in series. Start by trying to calculate their combined resistance first.

Adding to what andrevdh suggests, a good place to start is the at the end of the circuit. After you've found a combined resistance Rcr for those andrevdh described, you can then work your way towards the right. Notice R5 is now in parallel with your new combined resistance Rcr; you can combine these two to get a new combined resistance. Can you see the process?

Last edited:
i do not see how Rcr is in parallel with R5 at all. If it is in parallel with R5 that means that when u add Rcr up, it would have to be at the R6 location. Why can't u place the new Rcr at the R3 location. i am really confused.

spoonthrower said:
i do not see how Rcr is in parallel with R5 at all. If it is in parallel with R5 that means that when u add Rcr up, it would have to be at the R6 location. Why can't u place the new Rcr at the R3 location. i am really confused.

You could put the combined resistance Rcr (combined from R3, R6 and R7) anywhere in the branch at the extreme right. You could place it wheer R3 is or wher R6 is or where R7 is. In *all* three cases, Rcr is still in parallel with R5

got it. thank you so much.

1. What is the purpose of "Solve the Circuit"?

The purpose of "Solve the Circuit" is to determine the resistance between two points, A and B, in a circuit by finding the resistances of all the individual components (R1-R7) in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the resistance of R1-R7?

The resistance of R1-R7 can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). This means that R = V/I. You will need to know the voltage and current values for each component to calculate the resistance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω).

4. Why is it important to solve for resistance in a circuit?

Solving for resistance in a circuit is important because it allows us to understand how the components in the circuit affect the flow of electricity. It also helps us to troubleshoot any issues that may arise in the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to "Solve the Circuit" method?

One limitation of this method is that it assumes all components in the circuit are ideal, meaning they have no internal resistance or other imperfections. In reality, components will have some resistance, so the calculated resistance using this method may not be entirely accurate.