Does anybody understand the concepts of Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the purpose and logic behind calculus problems. The speaker suggests seeking out additional resources, like a book, to gain a deeper understanding. They also explain the relationship between displacement, velocity, and acceleration and how the derivative and integral operations represent these concepts. The derivative is described as determining the slope of a line at a specific point, while the integral is described as summing up the velocity over time to find the total displacement.
Revolver
I can learn how to do the problems, but I never understand why I'm doing the problems. Exactly what am I proving or figuring out? I can do derivatives, but I really don't know what a derivative is, I just know how to solve a derivative problem. How do you figure the logic? I swear, Calculus was devised by Satan himself :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you have a rather bad teacher. Perhaps you should pick up a book like "A Tour of the Calculus" by Berlinski for a deeper understanding of the motivation behind calculus. Calculus is, in fact, an essential tool in almost every scientific or engineering pursuit.

- Warren

Hootenanny said:
the derivative of acceleration is velocity. The derivative of velocity if displacement;
uhm, you got confused...
the time integral of acceleration is velocity, and the time integral of velocity is displacement...
the time derivative of displacement is velocity, and the time derivative of velocity is accelrration...

and in other words, the change rate in time of displacement at a certain time would be it's velocity on that specific time - this change rate is the slope of the x-t (displacent as Y an time as X) graph..
(and the change rate of velocity is acceleration - so the second derivative of displacement would give you acceleration)

and if you know the velocity at every moment summing it up over time (integrating it) would give you the total displacement.

you can see what derivative does if you look at it's definition:
to determine the slope of a line, you take it's Y value at point a -meaning f(a)
and at another point b -meaning f(b), you subtract f(b) from f(a) to get the height difference of the point and you divide this height difference by the distance between a and b.
now, derivative does the same, only it take two very close points and check the slope between them:
[tex]\frac{f(x)-f(x+\Delta x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]
where [tex]\Delta x[/tex] is very very small.
and this is how you get the tangential line's slope of a curve at point x...

Last edited:
Bloody Hell, I know the wrong way round! can't believe I did that! Time to catch some Z's :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: I'll delete my post because I haven't got time to edit it.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the slope of a curve or the area under a curve.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a framework for understanding and solving real-world problems involving change and motion. Many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, rely heavily on the concepts of Calculus.

3. Is Calculus difficult to understand?

Calculus can be challenging for some people to understand, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a solid foundation in algebra and trigonometry. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can grasp the concepts of Calculus.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Calculus?

To improve your understanding of Calculus, it is important to have a strong grasp of algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, studying and reviewing regularly can help solidify the concepts.

5. What are some real-world applications of Calculus?

Calculus has numerous real-world applications, such as predicting population growth, determining optimal production levels in business, understanding the behavior of moving objects, and analyzing financial trends. It is also used in fields like biology, medicine, and computer science.