Will a Magnet Damage My Credit Card?

In summary, putting your credit card on top of a strong magnet, like a smart card reader, can potentially damage it in the long run. However, if the magnet is not strong enough to hold a paper clip, it is most likely not strong enough to damage your card. It is also important to be cautious of counter-top units that disable security tags, as they can also cause damage to your card.
argonurbawono
will i damage my credit card if i put it on top of a strong magnet?

i have a few smart cards together with my credit cards in my wallet. when i use my smart card (like a security access card to open doors, gates with electronic access) i tap my wallet on the reading pad which i believe is rather strong magnet.

will this (in long run) damage my other cards?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the pad won't hold up a paper clip or some other small metal/iron object, then its not magnetic or at least not magnetic enough to matter.

Chances are its RFID or some other rf technology.

Also, If it hasn't wiped your credit cards by now chances are it won't.

Smart card readers are not magnetic. They use RF to induce a current in a loop of wire embedded in your card. The card, using this power, then broadcasts an electronic message via radio. The reader receives this message, verifies its authenticity, and then opens the door.

- Warren

argonurbawono said:
will i damage my credit card if i put it on top of a strong magnet?

Yes.
The situation you described may not do it, but a magnetic field can mess up a credit card or Hotel key type device.

At a recent meeting, the group toured a generator facility. Everyone that entered the room had to have Hotel desk re-do their keys when they got back. No one could get into their room.

Be careful also of the counter-top units that disable security tags at a store checkout. They usually have a lable warning against getting your cards too close.

1. Can a magnet damage my credit card?

It is highly unlikely that a magnet will damage your credit card. Most credit cards are made with a magnetic strip that is designed to withstand normal exposure to magnets. However, strong magnets or prolonged exposure to magnets may cause damage to the magnetic strip and render the card unusable.

2. Will keeping my credit card near a magnet affect its functionality?

No, keeping your credit card near a magnet, such as in a wallet with a magnetic clasp or in close proximity to electronic devices, should not affect its functionality. The magnetic strip on credit cards is designed to withstand normal exposure to magnetic fields.

3. Can a magnet erase the data on my credit card?

It is possible for a strong magnet to erase the data on a credit card's magnetic strip. However, this is not a common occurrence and would require prolonged and direct contact with the magnet. It is important to keep your credit card away from strong magnetic fields to avoid any potential damage.

4. How can I protect my credit card from magnets?

The best way to protect your credit card from magnets is to keep it in a separate pocket or compartment away from any magnetic objects. You can also purchase a credit card sleeve or wallet with RFID blocking technology, which will not only protect your card from magnets but also from identity theft.

5. What should I do if my credit card has been exposed to a magnet?

If your credit card has been exposed to a magnet and you notice any damage to the magnetic strip, contact your credit card company immediately to request a replacement card. Most major credit card companies offer free replacement cards in case of any damage or loss. It is important to act quickly to avoid any potential fraudulent activity on your account.