Should I finish my dual degree in 4.5 years or in 5 years

In summary, the speaker is considering two options for completing their dual degree in EE and physics: 3 more semesters with a heavy course load of 18 credits per semester or 5 years with slightly less course load but additional courses in control systems, solid state tech, and classical E&M. They are interested in pursuing graduate school in either physics or engineering and are unsure which option will make them more competitive. They currently have a 3.4 GPA and hope to raise it to a 3.7 by graduation. They had originally been a chemistry major but changed to EE/physics. They are also considering a minor in chemistry.
leright
It seems I can finish my dual degree in EE/physics in 3 more semesters and be out after a total of 4.5 years with a dual degree in EE and physics with a minor in chemistry. However, these last three semesters will be a rather heavy course load of 18 credits per semester. The other option is to be out of here in 5 years with the same dual degree in EE and physics, but with slightly less course load the last couple semesters and I will also take a couple more semesters of control systems, which is a subject I am immensely interested in (I hope to take a digital control course and a process control course), a solid state tech course (which is also of interest to me and is it is why I am dual majoring in EE/phys...but I think I can fit this course into the 4.5 year plan), and hopefully a second 4 credit directed study in classical E&M (I've already taken one 4 credit emag course and it was immensely interesting to me.

So, for someone that might like to go to grad school to study control systems (if I pursue the engineering side of things) or solid state electronics or maybe photonics (if I pursue "physicsy" engineering side of things...btw, I am taking a photonics course right now), what is a better choice? should I just get done in 4.5 years and move on to grad school, or should I spread things out a little bit more over 5 years and take a couple additional courses of my interest.

My ultimate goal is to attend a graduate program...whether I go to the physics side or the engineering side is unknown as both are currently very interesting to me. Will graduate school be impressed by someone with a dual degree in EE/physics and will they appreciate the extra coursework?

FYI, my GPA is currently a 3.4, but I hope to get it up to a 3.7 by the time I graduate. So, which option will make me more competitive in grad school admissions?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you don't fail your extra coursework classes..I don't see how they could hurt you.

Well...why the minor in chemistry? Is it just because it's like only one extra course or something? It seems that if you really want to go all out on EE/Physics then chemistry might be a thing to drop. Unless, it really is a negligible addon.

jbusc said:
Well...why the minor in chemistry? Is it just because it's like only one extra course or something? It seems that if you really want to go all out on EE/Physics then chemistry might be a thing to drop. Unless, it really is a negligible addon.

I was previously a chemistry major and took lots of chemistry classes.

Well I don't know what more to say, except that I'm going to be doing a double major in EE + Physics/Computer Science and most professors I've asked about it have been particularly positive about the opportunities from those degrees...

1. Should I finish my dual degree in 4.5 years or in 5 years?

The answer to this question depends on your individual circumstances and goals. Finishing in 4.5 years may allow you to enter the workforce earlier, but completing in 5 years may provide more opportunities for internships or study abroad experiences. Consider your academic workload, financial situation, and future plans before making a decision.

2. What are the benefits of finishing my dual degree in 4.5 years?

Finishing in 4.5 years may allow you to start your career earlier and potentially earn a higher salary. It also means you can save money by avoiding an extra semester or year of tuition. Additionally, you may have more time to pursue other interests or graduate studies.

3. Are there any drawbacks to finishing my dual degree in 4.5 years?

Finishing in 4.5 years may require taking a heavier course load, which can be stressful and may impact your grades. It also leaves less room for electives or the opportunity to retake courses for a better grade. It may also limit your time for internships or study abroad experiences.

4. What should I consider when deciding between 4.5 years and 5 years?

When deciding between the two options, consider your academic abilities, financial situation, and future plans. Think about the value of gaining work experience earlier versus having a more well-rounded college experience. It may also be helpful to consult with academic advisors, career counselors, and peers who have completed a dual degree program.

5. Can I change my decision and switch to the other option?

In most cases, it is possible to change your decision and switch between finishing in 4.5 years or 5 years. However, this may depend on your program's specific requirements and the availability of courses. It is important to communicate with your academic advisor and plan accordingly to ensure a smooth transition. Keep in mind that switching may also impact your graduation date and future plans, so consider all factors before making a change.