What is the standard form for expanding and simplifying polynomial functions?

In summary, the conversation discussed a student seeking help with review homework from their calculus teacher. They specifically asked for guidance on expanding and simplifying an equation in standard form. The teacher reminded the student to show effort before receiving help and provided an example of how to multiply expressions using the FOIL method. The conversation ended with the teacher suggesting the student clarify what standard form means.
Alain12345
Today was the second day of school, and my calc teacher gave some review homework. We did problems similar to the ones last year, but I don't remember how to do them. I'm sure it's pretty simple, but I need help anyways :uhh:

It says:

Expand and simplify. Express each equation in standard form:

f(x)= (x-1) (x+3) (x-5)

That's only one of them... I think I'll be able to handle the rest of them if someone can tell me how to do this one. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The rules of this forum state that you must show some effort before we can help. Do you have any thoughts on what to do?

Do you know how to FOIL?

Or, more generally, note that when you have some multiplication like (a + b)(c + d), every term in the first factor {a, b} gets multiplied by every term in the second factor {c, d}:

ab +
ac +
bc +
bd

In an even more general case, if you had an expression like (a + b + c + d)(e + f), you'd again multiply every term in the first factor by every term in the second factor:

ae +
af +
be +
bf +
ce +
cf +
de +
df

- Warren

You might want to start by stating exactly what "standard form" is.

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that is made up of multiple terms, each containing a variable raised to a non-negative integer exponent. The general form of a polynomial function is f(x) = anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an is the leading coefficient and n is the degree of the polynomial.

2. How do I determine the degree of a polynomial function?

The degree of a polynomial function is the highest exponent in the function. For example, in the polynomial function f(x) = 3x2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2. If the function is written in its expanded form, the degree is also equal to the number of terms minus 1.

3. How do I graph a polynomial function?

To graph a polynomial function, you can plot points by substituting different values for x and solving for y. You can also use the leading coefficient and the degree of the function to determine the end behavior and shape of the graph. Additionally, you can use transformations, such as shifting and reflecting, to graph more complex polynomial functions.

4. What is the difference between a linear and quadratic polynomial function?

A linear polynomial function has a degree of 1, meaning it only has one term with a variable raised to the first power. Its graph is a straight line. On the other hand, a quadratic polynomial function has a degree of 2 and its graph is a parabola. It has two terms, one with a variable raised to the second power and one with a variable raised to the first power.

5. How are polynomial functions used in real life?

Polynomial functions are used in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They can be used to predict sales and profits in business, design structures and machines, and calculate the motion of objects. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.