Current connecting two parts of a circuit

In summary, the diagram shows a circuit with a wire connecting two parts, but since the wire is a perfect conductor, there is no voltage drop and therefore no current flow. Current only flows when there is a potential difference between two points. The concept of equalizing potential means that the current flows from a higher potential to a lower potential in order to balance the difference. In this case, since there is no potential difference, there is no current flow. If Io were to be nonzero, it would have to be connected back to the starting point in a loop. Adding a resistor to the circuit would not change the current since it would be the same on both sides of the wire. The ground, or reference point, is where the potential is
RX-78-2
in the diagram below Io is zero. But i can't figure out why. Can anyone explain this to me.

Attachments

• conductcurrent.JPG
    conductcurrent.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 422
Engineering news on Phys.org
ouch, my mistake in the title it should say conductor connecting two parts of a circuit.

There is no element connecting the two parts, just a wire, and since the wire is assumed to be a perfect conductor, there is no voltage drop across any segment of the wire. Current flows between two ends of a device with a potential difference across it because it wants to equalize the potential at both ends. If there is no potential difference, there will be no current flow to equalize the difference.

Suppose Io were non-zero. Where is the return current? Or are you building up static charge...

LeBrad said:
There is no element connecting the two parts, just a wire, and since the wire is assumed to be a perfect conductor, there is no voltage drop across any segment of the wire. Current flows between two ends of a device with a potential difference across it because it wants to equalize the potential at both ends. If there is no potential difference, there will be no current flow to equalize the difference.

so a potential difference causes current to flow. like water flowing because of pressure pump right?

what do you mean by equalize potential though? i don't know what that means.

berkeman said:
Suppose Io were non-zero. Where is the return current? Or are you building up static charge...

yeah, i was confused. I assumed everytime a current met two forks in the circuit path like a parallel circuit for instance it would just split up the current flow. So i assumed that Io had come from the current in the right-hand circuit after splitting up.

Because i remember learning that a current if given several different branches to flow through the most current would flow through the branch with the least resistance. So I assumed currents from the two parts of those circuits would flow through that empty branch. which was absolutely wrong...

Last edited:
You diagram indicates a circuit representation with a dependent source.
You may learn more about these kinds of representations by searching previous posts here.
For example, here is one. My reply on that thread gives insight, directly related to your question.
hint: where is ground?

Ouabache said:
You diagram indicates a circuit representation with a dependent source.
You may learn more about these kinds of representations by searching previous posts here.
For example, here is one. My reply on that thread gives insight, directly related to your question.
hint: where is ground?

I see so that's the ground where the potential is taken from. So I'm guessing the circuit would still be the same if the model illustrated that single branch to be just a point node...

thank you for the link and thanks for the responses.

Last edited:
I modified the circuit now and i put in resistor R3 behind the negative terminal of the independent voltage source.

I assumed the voltage drop for this new resistor to the ground would be the reverse of the voltage R1 to the ground. but the only way for that to be possible is if the currents running through each Resistor to be different. but Io is zero so the currents through both resistors should be the same. I don't get it.

I forgot to add an image i'll add it below this post. sorry for the spam.

here is the image

Attachments

• conductcurrent2.JPG
    conductcurrent2.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 381
berkeman said:
berkeman is spot on.

The current Io will always be zero because current goes around in a loop. To put it loosely, if current Io goes left in your circuit, then somewhere in the same circuit, it has to go back right, too. If you must make Io nonzero, then place a wire connecting the right terminal of R1 to the left terminal of R2, and then you'd see (a nonzero) Io going right along this wire.

1. How does current flow in a circuit?

Current flows from the positive terminal of a battery or power source, through the circuit components, and back to the negative terminal. This flow of current is caused by the movement of electrons.

2. What is the role of current in a circuit?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a circuit, which allows for the transfer of energy and the operation of electrical devices.

3. How is current affected by the components in a circuit?

The amount of current in a circuit is affected by the resistance of the components in the circuit. Higher resistance leads to lower current, while lower resistance leads to higher current.

4. What happens when a circuit is open?

When a circuit is open, there is a break in the path of current flow, and no current can flow through the circuit. This is commonly referred to as an "open circuit."

5. How do you measure current in a circuit?

Current is measured using a device called an ammeter, which is connected in series with the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of current in amperes (A).