Major Fields of Physics: Learn Here!

In summary, physics can be divided into several major fields, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These fields cover a wide range of topics, from the motion of objects to the behavior of particles on a subatomic level. Each field has its own set of principles and laws that govern the physical world, allowing for a deeper understanding of the universe. By studying these fields, we can gain insight into the workings of nature and use this knowledge to advance technology and improve our daily lives.
Physics news on Phys.org
That just blew my mind. And I skipped ahead to the "applied physics" part, so I still missed a whole bunch.

I feel like a kid in a candy store. What branch should I go to? Where is my destiny hiding?

haha...

u should have used the index
and gone to
2.2Major fields in physics

lol!

This is why I wouldn't trust using Wikipedia for something like this.

I would strongly suggest that if anyone wants to have a good idea of the different field of studies in physics, that one goes to one of the physics professional organizations, and then look at the different divisions that is listed. This is as clear as anything one can find regarding the areas of physics that physicists work in.

Check the APS website and look under the drop box of the different divisions under the APS wing. You'll see that there is a lot more there than what you find in the Wikipedia page, and it is a lot more descriptive if you follow the links.

http://www.aps.org/units/index.cfm

Zz [Still scarry that people use Wikipedia for such things]

I noticed the link to

http://www.physicsmathforums.com/

What's the relation between that forum and this one? There seem to be more cranks at that forum (check the Relativity area; that always brings out the cranks.)

Daverz said:
check the Relativity area; that always brings out the cranks

A look at the thread titles was enough for me. :yuck: It looks almost as bad as sci.physics.relativity on Usenet. I say "almost" because s.p.r, being unmoderated, has a huge amount of name-calling and personal attacks. I hope the moderators at physicsmathforums at least suppress that kind of stuff.

Yeah, sci.physics.relativity is a real tragedy. There's no relativity discussed there; it was taken over by the cranks, and they are a nasty, nasty bunch. (Actually I think its purpose was to drain away some of the cranks from sci.physics.) This is about the best public forum I've seen for relativity.

By the way, the material on physics I've seen on Wikepaedia has been pretty good. I haven't noticed any obvious funny business, although it's possible that something subtle may have passed by me.

Last edited:
Daverz said:
By the way, the material on physics I've seen on Wikepaedia has been pretty good. I haven't noticed any obvious funny business, although it's possible that something subtle may have passed by me.

Oh please! Don't get me started!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Oh please! Don't get me started!

Well, I admit I haven't looked at a lot of it, except for some pages on some technical aspects of GR and Riemannian geometry.

Wikipedia's physics topics are...convoluted, to say the least. Everything that's apparently supposed to be explaining quantum physics in particular, draws on more advanced mathematics to explain itself - which makes it useless to anyone who doesn't already know it all.

I see nothing wrong, or overly complicated, with that Wikipedia article.

J77 said:
I see nothing wrong, or overly complicated, with that Wikipedia article.

So what you're telling me is that when you look at that Wikipedia entry, and then you look at all the division of the APS, you see no differences whatsoever?

Ooooookaaaayy.

Zz.

But when I look at the IoP divisions, I see:

Optics and Photonics
Atomic Molecular Optical and Plasma Physics
Condensed MAtter and Material Physics
Nuclear and Particle Physics
Applied Physics and Technology

which is very similar to the Wikipedia list...

http://www.iop.org/Our_Activities/Groups_and_Divisions/Divisions/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
And that is why I always give the example of the APS website, because (i) it is the LARGEST physics professional organization in the world and (ii) all the other major physics organizations in the rest of the world have affiliations with the APS. It does mean that the divisions of the APS includes the broadest coverage of the various subfields of physics.

And oh, if you look at the European Physical Society, you'd see A LOT more divisions.

http://www.eps.org/divisions.html

My point? People who don't know any better and read that Wikipedia article would think that that is all there is.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that wiki is sometiimes far from accurate and can be cliquey or crackpottish...

However, if you're someone having a quick look into what physics is all about - those main fields stand true.

Last edited:
im flabbagasted!

i stand corrected!

J77 said:
I agree that wiki is sometiimes far from accurate and can be cliquey or crackpottish...

However, if you're someone having a quick look into what physics is all about - those main fields stand true.

They are true and incomplete, and that has always been the problem for many instances where people only get bits and pieces of information. They get an incomplete information, but they are not aware that they're getting an incomplete information.

Zz.

well is there anyway for any pro's to help wiki and "complete" the info as much as possible.
because I'm quite sure that many people in general, nowadays, depend on it... n if i hadn't found this site, i guess i will be depending on other sources like wikipedia which is pretty inaccurate.ty,
confused

What is physics?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world and how these laws can be applied to explain and predict natural phenomena.

What are the major fields of physics?

The major fields of physics include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity. These fields cover a wide range of topics such as motion, energy, forces, electricity, magnetism, light, and the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic levels.

Why is it important to learn about the major fields of physics?

Learning about the major fields of physics helps us understand the natural world and how it works. It also enables us to develop new technologies and make advancements in various industries such as medicine, engineering, and telecommunications.

What are some real-world applications of the major fields of physics?

The major fields of physics have countless real-world applications. For example, classical mechanics is used in designing bridges and buildings, thermodynamics is essential for understanding how engines and refrigerators work, electromagnetism is crucial for the development of electronics, quantum mechanics is used in developing computer technology, and relativity is applied in space exploration and GPS systems.

What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only for geniuses or those with advanced mathematical abilities. In reality, anyone can learn and understand the principles of physics with the right approach and effort. Another misconception is that physics is a dry and boring subject, when in fact it is full of fascinating concepts and applications that can spark curiosity and creativity. Finally, some people believe that physics only deals with theoretical concepts, but in reality, it has numerous practical applications in our daily lives.