Finding Magnetic Field Solutions for a Current-Carrying Cylinder?

In summary, the question is that:a) show that I_0 is the total current passing through the entire cross section of the wire.b). Using Ampere's law, derive an expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field \vec B in the region r>=a .c). Obtain an expression for the current I contained in a circular cross section of radius r<=a and centered at the cylinder axis.d). Using Ampere's law, derive an expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field \vec B in the region r<=a.
adrian116
the question is that:

A long, straight, solid cylinder, oriented with its axis in the z-direction, carries a current whose current density is [itex] \vec J[/itex]. The current density, although symmetrical about the cylinder axis, is not constant but varies according to the relation

(the relation is in the attachment)

where a is the radius of the cylinder, r is the radial distance from the cylider axis, and [itex]I_0[/itex] is a constant haveing units of amperes.
a) show that [itex]I_0[/itex] is the total current passing through the entire cross section of the wire.
b). Using Ampere's law, derive an expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field [itex]\vec B[/itex] in the region r>=a .
c). Obtain an expression for the current I contained in a circular cross section of radius r<=a and centered at the cylinder axis.
d). Using Ampere's law, derive an expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field [itex]\vec B[/itex] in the region r<=a.

For a, Since for the entire cross section of the wire, i subt. r=a into the relation. But it will give zero. I shown nothing. If I subt. J=I/A,
then [itex]I=2 I_0 [1- (\frac{r}{a})^2][/itex]. Anything wrong,
and how to proof that?

Attachments

• relation.jpg
    relation.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 902
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the current density is not constant, you need to integrate over the cross section.

Also, have you taken a look at the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997"l? If you post the question that way, you won't need to wait till the attachment is approved.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am sorry since i do not familiar that tutorial yet...

Should i integrate [itex]\frac{2 I_0}{\pi a^2} [1- (\frac{dr}{a})^2][/itex]
from 0 to a? if yes, how to integerate [itex](dr)^2[/itex]

Last edited:
adrian116 said:
i am sorry since i do not familiar that tutorial yet...

Should i integrate [itex]\frac{2 I_0}{\pi a^2} [1- (\frac{dr}{a})^2][/itex]
from 0 to a? if yes, how to integerate [itex](dr)^2[/itex]

No, that's completely wrong.

If you take a small elemental area da, then the current which flows through that bit is [tex]\vec{J}.\vec{da}[/tex]

To find the net current through the whole wire, in a sense you add up the current through all the small elemental areas.
So your net current will be

[tex]I=\int \vec{J}.\vec{da} [/tex]

Now,
(i) Can you tell me what elemental area you will take?
(ii) What will the limits of integration be?

Last edited:
elemental area is the small cross section area [itex]dA=2 \pi r da[/itex],
and the limits of integration is from 0 to a?

Last edited:
I have got the ans.
and the following problems are also be solved,
thank you so much

1. What are the two main sources of magnetic field?

The two main sources of magnetic field are electric current and permanent magnets. Electric current produces a magnetic field due to the movement of charged particles, while permanent magnets have their own magnetic fields due to the alignment of their atoms' magnetic moments.

2. How do electric currents create magnetic fields?

Electric currents create magnetic fields through the movement of charged particles, such as electrons. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the direction of the current flow.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet has a constant magnetic field due to the alignment of its atoms, while an electromagnet's magnetic field can be turned on and off by controlling the electric current passing through it.

4. Can non-magnetic materials create magnetic fields?

Yes, non-magnetic materials can create magnetic fields when placed in a strong external magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as diamagnetism.

5. How do magnetic fields interact with each other?

Magnetic fields interact with each other according to the principles of superposition. This means that the total magnetic field at a point is the vector sum of all the individual magnetic fields at that point.