Does junior high really matter?

• Thread starter Ki Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, the conversation highlights the topic of how junior high grades may affect future college applications. The general consensus is that junior high grades do not hold much weight and will not be considered by most universities. It is advised to focus on doing well in high school and taking challenging courses in junior and senior year. The conversation also touches on the idea of imperfection and the importance of social skills in high school. Overall, the conversation suggests not to worry too much about junior high grades and to focus on enjoying high school.
Ki Man
I did really poorly in junior high... I think all 4 semester average to about 2.85 or something, but now in my freshmen year I am on track of getting a 3.6+ and hopefully a 4.0

Will my horrible junior high procrastination ever affect college applications since i really want to go to a good university for physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ki Man said:
I did really poorly in junior high... I think all 4 semester average to about 2.85 or something, but now in my freshmen year I am on track of getting a 3.6+ and hopefully a 4.0

Will my horrible junior high procrastination ever affect college applications since i really want to go to a good university for physics.

Hell no.

They won't look at junior high at all. They won't even look at your freshmen and sophomore year nevermind junior high!

Keep up the good work though.:biggrin:

You could have had a 0.0 in junior high, and if they still passed you to high school, you'd be just fine. Freshmen year, the reason why you want to do well (looks like you are), is to start off with a good class rank.

Oh, let me give you some really good advice. Listen. Do not start thinking about universities now, and do not think about what will help you get in. Do what you want to do, as long as you do SOMETHING. Some colleges don't even look at freshmen year of high school (I believe that Princeton and UMich don't, for example), and others don't put that much weight on it. Sophomore year matters somewhat. Junior year, take the hardest courseload you can ever possibly think of ever taking (choose interesting classes!). You will be set. Just don't start thinking about colleges yet; don't be that guy. High school will probably change most of what you think of all academic subjects and universities. Have fun!

EDIT: Also, don't worry about what others are getting right now. I've seen people be on track to being valedictorian, until they just crashed junior year and couldn't take it anymore.

really?

I asked my English teacher and he said he wasn't sure, but he said the much higher schools like Harvard and Yale might go all the way back to whenever,

Maybe i just worry too much...

yes you do, have fun in high school, when it comes to junior year then you can worry but not till then.

I barely passed in Junior high. Actually, I failed a few classes. It hasn't effected me at ALL. All of school before high school is garbage.

Ki Man said:
really?

I asked my English teacher and he said he wasn't sure, but he said the much higher schools like Harvard and Yale might go all the way back to whenever,

Maybe i just worry too much...

My English teacher was a moron, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours is too, especially after a comment like that.

Anyways, I wouldn't stress about it, and just do what you're doing because you're doing great.

"Well, this kid is a genius now, but how smart was he in... 7th grade!?"

My english teacher probably is a moron. The way he teaches will probably teach us the most about why we write, but he is a moron and doesn't teach us about writing.

English teachers tend to be morons...

Poop-Loops said:

I failed mathematics in my senior in high school, and now I'm heading to graduate school soon!

I wouldn't take that route, but that goes to show that education in high school is so poor that a month of study if sufficient to cover all the material from high school! Sad.

Poop-Loops said:

lol... actually in 7th grade i came up with a lot of ideas and even some ideas for perpetual motion and reason for gravity and whatnot

but i procrastinated like crazy

lol, I remember getting a D in science in 7th grade, as well as an F in history (I didnt do the projects and homework, which apparently were worth like 50% of the grade).

Ki Man said:
lol... actually in 7th grade i came up with a lot of ideas and even some ideas for perpetual motion and reason for gravity and whatnot

It's good that you were thinking, but I doubt they were very intelligent thoughts(im saying this due to your comments on perpetual motion...), hehe

well the perpetual motion was just random possible blurbs and i figured out that 2 of them were totally impossible

the third I've yet to test.. lol i really doubt it will ever work but the possibility is cool though =]

7th grade was full of creativity and procrastination and a lot of stuborness. Reality didn't exist to me in 7th grade. my report cards and some of my ideas reflect that

edit. so can I be 100% sure that my junir high won't come back to haunt me?

Last edited:
good luck with perpetual motion, note me in your nobel prize speech please. Juniour high doesn't matter though, in fact just have fun. From I have heard, you are that kid who is chasing down perfection. Beauty is in imperfection my friend. It is what sets everyone apart, we are all imperfect in different ways. The best skills you can learn in high school are the social skills anyways.

i was going to say yes! becase i thought you were still in junior high. but since it is apparentlyover, the answer is no!

now matters, the past does not matter.

Ki Man, I don't even know if they still have my junior high grades on file anywhere.

I GOT MY FIRST B IN JR HIGH. i think it was in english. i was in hank williams' daughter's class, and she wrote this smacking good biography of her life growing with audrey and without hank. she got an A. how could i match that?

wow what nice competition =P

I was just wondering because it would really really weigh me down... jr high is really just a kind of extension of elementary. its just there so when you go to high school you don't die.

If they do count though, i can say goodbye to caltech

Nobody cares about junior high. Don't worry.

Don't make up your mind on a university just yet :smile: It will be far better for you to keep your mind completely open until the end. Throughout high school you will (hopefully) learn that many many many universities will provide you with an excellent education. I would focus more on the life aspect there than solely on academic. Caltech is great, but make sure you visit, etc.., but not yet!

I remember my views of college a few years ago when I was a freshmen. Boy have they changed.

If you really want to get into Caltech, do something cool with your time. Don't waste it by studying constantly, or not doing anything.

EDIT: BTW, even a 2.8 freshmen year in high school wouldn't kill your chances of getting into Caltech. I can tell you right now that colleges will never see, nor care, about your junior high grades...EVER, EVER

what is 'something cool'. designing stuff?

caltech is a great school if you are correct in assuming you want a math/science career.

but some ex students there (who liked it) said it was bad for others, i.e. those who might cjange their minds about a major.i.e.liberal arts schools like harvard or stanford, have other subjects too, if you think a more well rounded education might suit you, or if say you might want to leave room to wind up in fine arts or film.

(this was 20 years ago, so maybe caltech is less one dimensonal now)

I want to be a theoretical physicist

I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to my major... hopefully... even if I don't like something, i usually stick to it until the end

I didn't get into Harvard because I got a B+ in eighth grade English.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...

I wish i didn't try so hard in high school, it really doesn't mean jack, but neither did my SAT scores. I think i got like a 930. They said I would do terriable in college from the entrance exams. But I'm in the top 1/8 of my Jr. class in Engineering at PSU and its a massive school. Its not hard to get a grade, just study your ass off and hope you remember the material next semseter hah. I think I owe a lot of my GPA to this website as well, thanks guys :)

Ki Man said:
what is 'something cool'. designing stuff?
In my opinion, something cool is whatever you like.

In high school I spent my free time dancing, writing amnesty international letters, and drawing. I still got into college. :smile:

Don't live your life for an admissions committee.

I was ranking 287/411 in HS.
Now, I am a college senior applying PhD.

Technically I think you can be a complete moron up to the point of junior year in high school. Thats when you get all your ducks inline and make sure you are a good applicant to apply to the universities you want.

My only probelm now is with spanish, which i have a C in, if i didn't take spanish I'd be much better off >_> the weird thing is that all of my friends say spanish is an easy A when i find it very hard

I think it's funny that you say a 2.85 is wayyyyy bad...thats better than average still.

Ki Man, good thing that freshmen year doesn't matter to a lot of colleges ;)

I got two Cs freshmen year, and several Bs, *only* three As. The University of Arizona is offering to pay for my tuition if I choose to attend. Just make sure you don't get a C in a math or science class.

1. Does attending junior high have a long-term impact on academic success?

Yes, studies have shown that students who attend junior high have a higher likelihood of academic success in high school and beyond.

2. Is junior high important for social development?

Yes, junior high is a critical time for social development as students learn how to navigate relationships and social dynamics.

3. Can negative experiences in junior high affect a person's self-esteem?

Unfortunately, yes. Junior high can be a challenging time for many students, and negative experiences can have a lasting impact on self-esteem and self-confidence.

4. Are the academic skills learned in junior high necessary for future education?

Yes, the academic skills and knowledge learned in junior high provide a foundation for future education, including high school and college.

5. Does the quality of junior high education impact future success?

Research suggests that the quality of education received in junior high can have a significant impact on future academic success and career opportunities.