Where to study quantum physics

In summary, the individual is new to the forum and expresses their interest in quantum physics as they are currently studying it in their last year of high school. They are seeking help in finding a university that offers quantum physics as a major, regardless of location. The responder clarifies that most universities introduce quantum mechanics at the junior or senior level for a physics major. The individual's confusion is addressed regarding having quantum mechanics as a career, with the responder providing two possible interpretations - a job using quantum mechanics or pursuing research in the field with a Ph.D in physics.
jeffquique
:shy: hi to everyone i´m new on this forum but i love quantum physics i´m currently studying at high school but is my last year and i would like to study quantum physics can anybody help me find a good university that offers quantum physics as a career no mater where it is please help me :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
At the bachelors level for university, the study of quantum mechanics is not done until junior or senior year- typically. Any school with a physics major will introduce you to quantum mechanics for you bachelors degree.

And I am confused about what you mean as having quantum mechanics as a career. Do you mean having a job where you use quantum mechanics? Or do you mean that you want to work on fundamental research in the area of quantum mechanics, which would mean that you need to get a Ph.D. in physics.

Hi there! First of all, it's great to hear that you are interested in studying quantum physics. It is a fascinating and rapidly advancing field of study.

There are many great universities around the world that offer programs in quantum physics. Some top universities for studying quantum physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the United States, University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom, and ETH Zurich in Switzerland. However, there are many other universities that also offer strong programs in this field.

When looking for a university to study quantum physics, it's important to consider the research opportunities and resources available, as well as the faculty and their areas of expertise. You may also want to consider the location and potential opportunities for internships or collaborations with other institutions.

I would recommend doing some research and reaching out to universities directly to learn more about their specific programs and opportunities. You can also look for rankings and reviews from current and past students to get a better understanding of the quality of the program.

Best of luck in your search for a university to study quantum physics! It's an exciting and rewarding field, and I'm sure you will find a great program that fits your interests and goals.

1. What universities offer degrees in quantum physics?

There are several universities around the world that offer degrees in quantum physics, including Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, and University of Oxford.

2. Is studying quantum physics at the undergraduate level possible?

Yes, many universities offer undergraduate programs in quantum physics, such as University of Colorado-Boulder, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, and University of Toronto.

3. Are there online courses or programs available for studying quantum physics?

Yes, there are online courses and programs available for studying quantum physics. Some examples include the MIT OpenCourseWare program, Coursera's "Quantum Mechanics for Everyone" course, and University of Maryland's online Master's in Quantum Computing.

4. What are the top schools for studying quantum physics?

The top schools for studying quantum physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), University of California-Berkeley, University of Oxford, and University of Cambridge.

5. What are the prerequisites for studying quantum physics?

The prerequisites for studying quantum physics vary depending on the level of study. For undergraduate programs, typically a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science is required. For graduate programs, a Bachelor's degree in a related field and coursework in advanced mathematics and physics is usually necessary.