Hershey Canada Issues Nationwide Chocolate Recall

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary, Hershey Canada has recalled chocolate products nationwide after salmonella bacteria was detected. Moonie interviewed for a job at Hershey Medical School and is not impressed by the lack of pay compared to her chocolate consumption. Oak Pond Brewery offers Nut Brown Ale and White Fox Ale that Moonie recommends.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It was one thing when it was just spinach and tomatoes, but now they're recalling chocolate for salmonella contamination! :cry: What is the world coming to? Not the chocolate!

OTTAWA -- Hershey Canada Inc. has voluntarily recalled a wide range of chocolate products nationwide and closed its Smiths Falls, Ont., plant after salmonella bacteria was detected in the candy produced there.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=fa957946-1570-42de-995d-b5b4d1a9ea2e&k=95718

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AAAARRGGGHH!

I tried to warn you all, but NOOOOOO, I was just being an alarmist. :devil:

is this a plot to kill the sisterhood?

Don't worry, I'll help pick up the slack - a new client of mine is a cocoa bean processor for Hershey, Hershey and I helped get them online last week. They were just doing test runs then, but by now they should be in full production. They process 20 tons of cocoa beans an hour, producing 14 tons of cocoa butter, powder, and liquer, which is trucked to Hershey to make the final product. I'm not sure if that's really enough to keep the sisterhood satiated, but it should at least keep the siezures to a minimum.

It is one delicious smelling factory.

Moonie, now it's my turn to tell you to quit whining. This is Canadian Hershey, so it has no effect on you. On the other hand, Peanut Butter Cups are my favourite vegetable. :cry:

As long as it doesn't spread to doughnuts.:bugeye:

I hate to say this, but I don't like Hershey chocolates. Somehow, after tasting chocolates with higher cocoa butter content, they don't feel as rich and smooth. I blame a few of my friends who brought chocolates back from Belgium. I've become such a snob that I only buy Scharffen Berger chocolates. :(

But then again, I'm not part of the Sisterhood, only an adopted mascot. <strikes a pose>

:)

Zz.

Danger said:
Moonie, now it's my turn to tell you to quit whining. This is Canadian Hershey, so it has no effect on you. On the other hand, Peanut Butter Cups are my favourite vegetable. :cry:
You have no idea how many countries need to supply us with chocolate to keep us adequately stocked in the sisterhood headquarters!

Yes, Peanut Butter Cups are one of my favorites. I don't go for much Hershey chocolate (or much of any of the stuff you generally find in the grocery store), but Peanut Butter Cups are one of the few I get cravings for every so often (and just had a bag for Halloween)...and the Hershey bars with almonds are the other ones.

I interviewed for a job once at Hershey Medical School in Hershey, PA. I don't know if they could have paid me enough to keep up with my chocolate consumption in a town that smells like chocolate every time you walk outside!

Danger said:
Just as long as there are not simultaneous recalls on Beck's and Heiniken!

Well, I drink Keith's, so you're on your own there. :tongue:

turbo-1 said:
Just as long as there are not simultaneous recalls on Beck's and Heiniken!

I'm not worried there -- I'm trusting that alcohol will kill those microbe suckers. At least a stronger alcohol will might! (My preventive mediation when friends around me are sick is a good screwdriver -- the OJ for the vitamin C, and the vodka to kill things! :rofl: )

I can always fall back on Kentucky bourbon or sour-mash - most of the beer produced on this continent falls somewhere between dishwater and horse urine. If I drink any US beer, it's from the microbrewery two towns over.

http://oakpondbrewery.com/

Their Nut Brown Ale and White Fox Ale are to die for.

Those peanut butter cups are the most sickly things known to mankind. Bleurgh. Oak Pond beer sounds a bit more like it.

Evo said:
AAAARRGGGHH!

I tried to warn you all, but NOOOOOO, I was just being an alarmist.
No more bon-bons for you!

twisting_edge said:
No more bon-bons for you!
Hmmmmph, I don't eat cheap contaminated bons bons. :devil:

brewnog said:
Those peanut butter cups are the most sickly things known to mankind.
That just means more for womankind! We've been noticing a shortage of deliveries from Britain lately...

Evo said:
Hmmmmph, I don't eat cheap contaminated bons bons. :devil:
And the housecoat is doubtless by Versace, right?

twisting_edge said:
Goes just right with the Christian Dior bunny slippers and the Salon-branded Chinese-made plastic hair-curlers.

twisting_edge said:
Only if they sell Versace at Walmart. :grumpy:

turbo-1 said:
Goes just right with the Christian Dior bunny slippers and the Salon-branded Chinese-made plastic hair-curlers.
Actually they're pink hippo slippers. They match the hippos on my flannel housecoat.

Evo said:
Only if they sell Versace at Walmart. :grumpy:

Actually they're pink hippo slippers. They match the hippos on my flannel housecoat.
EVO, you domestic goddess! (Hungry, hungry hippos!)

chocolate and hersheys have no relation. you are rookie chocoholics if you even consider eating a yukkkk hersheys bar. about the only resemblance is the color.

real chocolate is made by lindt, or even more exotic purveyors i will not bother to advertise here in this lowbrow environment.

Last edited:
Hmph! I believe in equal opportunity for all chocolate! :biggrin:

Hmph! I believe in equal opportunity for all chocolate!
As long as it's not dark. I am prejudiced against dark chocolate.

Dark Chocolate>other chocolate

Good. More other chocolate for me.

Hurkyl said:
There is no chocolate other than dark, the rest is not worthy of the chocolate name.:grumpy: PAH! I spit on your wimpy milk chocolate!

There is no chocolate other than dark, the rest is not worthy of the chocolate name.
You just keep telling yourself that.

PAH! I spit on your wimpy milk chocolate!
It would be nice if you didn't contaminate the good stuff in the process, though. :grumpy:

Hurkyl said:
No problem, you can give me any dark chocolate you get. :biggrin: I like dark chocolate, but that does have to be good quality, not something like Hershey's Special Dark, because it can easily taste like you're trying to chomp through baking chocolate (that's only for emergencies). If it's cheaper chocolate, milk is usually safer.

Evo said:
There is no chocolate other than dark, the rest is not worthy of the chocolate name.:grumpy: PAH! I spit on your wimpy milk chocolate!

Isn't dark chocolae good for the arteries, i.e., isn't it an anti-oxidant?

"What are you doing?"

"i'm getting my chocolate fix ... er ... I'm unclogging my arteries."

George Jones said:

I find studies on arterial health, blood pressure, diarrhea, diabetes. you name it... good stuff. although many of these studies (done on mice) say we musts eat basically ONLY chocolate via the quantities involved :biggrin:

George Jones said:
I've heard that. I haven't looked closely at the studies to see if I agree with the conclusions, but I'm a bit biased about not wanting to know if it's wrong there. :wink:

1. What products are included in the Hershey Canada chocolate recall?

The recall includes certain batches of Hershey's chocolate products, including Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar (52g), Hershey's Milk Chocolate Almond Bar (43g), Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Pretzel Bits Bar (43g), Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Bar (43g), Hershey's Mr. Goodbar (42g), and Hershey's Oh Henry! (58g).

2. What is the reason for the recall?

The recall was issued due to a possible presence of salmonella in the above-mentioned chocolate products. Salmonella is a bacteria that can cause foodborne illness and can be dangerous, especially for young children, older adults, and those with weakened immune systems.

3. How can I tell if I have a recalled product?

The recalled products have specific batch codes and expiry dates. Consumers can check the product packaging for this information or contact Hershey Canada's customer service for assistance. It is important to note that not all products with these batch codes and expiry dates are affected by the recall, so it is best to verify with the company.

4. What should I do if I have a recalled product?

If you have a recalled product, you should not consume it and dispose of it immediately. You can also contact Hershey Canada's customer service for further instructions and to receive a refund or replacement product. If you have already consumed the product and are experiencing symptoms of foodborne illness, seek medical attention.

5. Are there any reported cases of illness related to the recalled products?

At the time of the recall, there were no reported cases of illness related to the recalled products. However, it is still important to take precautionary measures and dispose of any affected products to prevent potential illness.

Back