Can I Buy/Build a 500V 4A Power Supply?

In summary: I was starting to think I was the only one who was having trouble finding a good answer to this question. Thanks for the suggestion, marcusl!
Cyrus
Is it unreasonable to buy or build a power supply circuit that is rated at 500V and 4Amps?

Thanks.

I know 500V is possible, but not at that high an amperage.

Anything in and around $5k would be fine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yea, would be a lot cheaper to build one.

The problem would be finding a suitable step up 2000 W transformer to do the job.

But there is a way to get around that,

A simple step down transformer from 120 volts to 30 volts when connected in reverse will step up 120 V to 480 V. (turns ratio is 4)

Assuming the insulation holds up, you might get up to 1 amp from one transformer.

You would need four or more of these set ups in parallel to generate the required amperage at 500 V.

After you rectified them, you a simple transistor regulator.

I don't care about price, I just want it to work.

yes, will a little tinkering and tweaking could be done well under $500 bucks.

I don't want to tinker, or tweak. I just want something that works.

If you know of any power supplies or circuits that would do what I want, please let me know.

Last edited:
cyrusabdollahi said:
You are in an enviable position. Check out Lambda's high-power line; they have a 2.5kW supply that puts out 0-600VDC at up to 4 Amps, and others that will address your needs too.
http://www.lambda-hp.com/product_html/emspower.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you are the man sir marcusl.

This is EXACTLY the reply I was looking for, thank you!

Have you tried Agilent? They make (or used to?) some big ones like what you want. Check their website or give them a call. And don't expect to drop anything short of $5K...unless you build it yourself.

EDIT : Wrote this post when I hadn't yet seen marcusl's suggestion.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Yes, you are the man sir marcusl.

This is EXACTLY the reply I was looking for, thank you!

Whoo! :biggrin:

1. Can I buy a 500V 4A power supply?

Yes, you can buy a 500V 4A power supply. There are several companies and vendors that offer power supplies with these specifications. It is important to do proper research and ensure that the power supply meets your specific needs and safety standards before making a purchase.

2. Can I build a 500V 4A power supply?

Yes, it is possible to build a 500V 4A power supply. However, it requires advanced knowledge of electrical engineering and proper safety precautions. It is recommended to consult with a professional or use pre-made kits to ensure the power supply is built correctly and safely.

3. What are the main components needed to build a 500V 4A power supply?

The main components needed to build a 500V 4A power supply include a transformer, rectifier, filter capacitors, and a voltage regulator. Other components such as resistors, diodes, and transistors may also be needed depending on the specific design.

4. Are there any risks involved in using a 500V 4A power supply?

Yes, there are risks involved in using a 500V 4A power supply, as with any high voltage equipment. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and handle the power supply with caution. It is also recommended to have a basic understanding of electricity and consult with a professional before use.

5. Can a 500V 4A power supply be used for any application?

No, a 500V 4A power supply may not be suitable for all applications. It is important to consider the specific requirements and limitations of your application before using this type of power supply. It is also recommended to seek professional advice to ensure the power supply is appropriate for your intended use.