Differential equation word problem

In summary, the population of the town grows at a rate proportional to its current population. With an initial population of 500, it increases by 15% in 10 years. Using the equation dp/dt = Kt, where K is the growth constant, we can find the population as a function of time. By solving for K and using the initial population and population after 10 years, we get the equation x=500e^(0.014t). Therefore, the population after 30 years will be approximately 761.45.
timm3r

Homework Statement

the population of a town grows at a rate proportional to the population at any time. its initial population of 500 increases by 15% in 10 years. what will be the population in 30 years?

Homework Equations

my teacher sucks at teaching and i have no idea what on Earth he's trying to say. all i got from him was this

dp/dt = Kt
the derivative of the population with respect to time is equal to a constant, which is 15% i think and time.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean that incompetent teacher expects you to be able to do basic calculus? I assume, of course, that you have never taken calculus- other wise that equation would be all you need. (Odd, this is posted in the "Calculus and Beyond" section!)

Sarcasm aside (which you triggered with "my teacher sucks at teaching". Blaming others for your problems guarentees that you can't solve them.):

No, K is not 15% (0.15). Integrate that equation to find P as a function of both t and K. The answer will, of course, involve a constant of integration. Use the fact that p(0)= 500 and p(10)= 500+ (0.15)(500)= 575 to determine both K and the constant of integration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just solving this if others nid help

Let x be the number of people at any time t (years);

dx/dt = kx , Where K>0 (Since is growth);

Use seperable Equation method;

(1/x) dx = k dt;

Integrate Both side w.r.t dx and dt respectively;

ln|X| = kt + C;

Initial Population is 500 --> at time 0, x is 500;
ln|500| = k(0) + C;
C = ln|500|;

Putting back at the original equation,
ln|X| = kt + ln|500|
x = e^(kt + ln|500|)
x = e^(kt) * e^(ln|500|)
x= 500e^(kt);

In 10 years, population will increase by 15% -> 115% of 500 = 575
x= 575 when t = 10,

575 = 500e^(10k);
k=0.0140(3sf)

hence x=500e^(0.014t);

At 30 years, x=500e^(0.014 * 30);
x=761

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function. It relates the function to its derivatives and can be used to describe a wide range of physical phenomena in the natural world.

2. How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and solve problems in areas such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and more. They can help predict the behavior of systems over time and provide insights into complex processes.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves only one independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives. Partial differential equations are often used to model systems that vary in space and time, while ordinary differential equations are used for systems that vary only in time.

4. How do you solve a differential equation word problem?

To solve a differential equation word problem, you first need to translate the given information into a mathematical equation. Then, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors to solve the equation and find the solution to the problem.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differential equation word problems?

Yes, differential equation word problems have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used to model population growth, describe the motion of objects in physics, predict changes in stock prices, and analyze the spread of infectious diseases.