How Do You Calculate Specific Points in a Triangle Using Vectors?

In summary, the problem involves finding the position vector of various points in a triangle with given vertices. The textbook answers for the position vectors of P, Q, and R are incorrect and the correct answers are ½(b + a), ⅔(b + a), and ½(a + b + c) respectively. The discrepancy in the textbook answers may be due to a miscalculation or incorrect understanding of vector operations.
bjgawp

Homework Statement

Consider the triangle ABC whose vertices have position vectors a, b, and c respectively.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4240/vectorat6.png

Find the position vector of
(a) P, the mid-point of AB
(b) Q, the point of trisection of AB, with Q closer to B.
(c) R, the mid-point of the median CP.

Homework Equations

None really. It just seems that I have a major conflict with the textbook answer and I'm not quite sure why. The textbook says:
(a) ½(b + a)
(b) ⅓(2b + a)
(c) ½(a + b + c)

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I got this answer. Looking at the diagram, if we theoretically add OB and OA tip-to-tail, the half of the resultant vector should give us OP.
(b) Similarly to (a),
AB = b + a
OQ = ⅓AB
--> OQ = ⅓(b + a)
I don't see why b is multiplied by 2.

(c) First off:
CP = CO + OP
CP = -c + ½(b + a)

Then,
OR = OC + ½CP
OR = c + ½(-c + ½(b + a))
OR = ½c + ¼b + ¼a

Yeah, I don't see why my answers disagree with the textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
a) OB = OA + AB
b = a + AB
therefore,
AB = b - a, not b + a

OP = OA + ½(AB) = a + ½(b - a) = a + ½b - ½a
OP = ½(b + a)

b) OQ = OA + (2/3)AB (Q is 2/3 of way along AB)

c) the book is wrong, you are right!

Last edited:
Can someone help me out here?

Hello,

Thank you for providing your attempted solutions and explaining your reasoning. I can see that you have a good understanding of vector addition and how to find mid-points and trisection points.

For part (b), the textbook answer of ⅓(2b + a) is correct. This is because when we add 2b and a, we are essentially adding b twice. This is because b is the vector from O to B, so adding it twice represents moving along b from O to B, and then moving along b again from B to C. Therefore, ⅓(2b + a) represents the point that is ⅓ of the way along the line AB, closer to B.

For part (c), I can see where your confusion lies. Your method of finding the position vector of R is correct, but the textbook answer is simplified further. Let's break it down:

OR = ½c + ¼b + ¼a

Since R is the midpoint of CP, we know that CR = ½CP. So we can rewrite this as:

OR = ½c + ¼(2c + b + a)

Now, we can factor out a ½ from the second term:

OR = ½c + ½(2c + b + a)

And we can see that the second term is just the vector from O to B, which is b + a. So we can write:

OR = ½c + ½(b + a)

Which is the same as the textbook answer of ½(a + b + c).

I hope this helps clarify the textbook answers for you. Keep up the good work with your vector problems!

1. What is a triangle vector problem?

A triangle vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the magnitude and direction of a vector, or a quantity that has both magnitude and direction, in a triangle.

2. How do you solve a triangle vector problem?

To solve a triangle vector problem, you need to use the rules of vector addition and subtraction, as well as the properties of triangles and trigonometry. First, draw the vectors involved in the problem on a diagram and label them with their magnitudes and directions. Then, use the appropriate formulas to find the resultant vector.

3. What are some common applications of triangle vector problems?

Triangle vector problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They can be used to calculate forces, velocities, and accelerations in a given direction, as well as to determine the magnitude and direction of electric and magnetic fields.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to triangle vector problems?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is often used in triangle vector problems to find the magnitude of the resultant vector using the components of the other two vectors involved.

5. Are there any tips for solving triangle vector problems?

One helpful tip for solving triangle vector problems is to break down the vectors into their horizontal and vertical components. This can make the problem easier to visualize and solve. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the vectors and use the appropriate trigonometric functions to find the resultant vector's direction.