Understanding the Basics of Extended Plane and Space

In summary: The extended space is the union of the extended planes.In summary, the concept of extended plane and extended space refers to extending the concept of a regular plane or space to include ideal points and lines. In extended space, each distinct plane has one ideal line and the extended space is composed of multiple extended planes. The exact meaning and usage of extended space may vary as there are different ways to extend it.
*best&sweetest*
Could anybody please explain the concept of extended plane and extended space? I know the definition of an ideal point and that's the only part that I really understand. If each two distinct planes (in extended space) meet in just one line, does it mean that there's only one ideal line for each plane?
What's the difference between extended plane and extended space? There's only one extended plane in extended space, right?
I know that for some of you these questions will sound very silly, but the book I have has a very poor explanation. If you know some web page where I can learn the basics, please tell me. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't believe the term "extended space" is standard. There are many ways to "extend space".

If each two distinct planes (in extended space) meet in just one line, does it mean that there's only one ideal line for each plane?
Yes, that's true. In particular planes that are "parallel" in regular space meet in that one "ideal" line (and a pair of lines, one on each plane, meet in an "ideal" point on that "ideal" line.

What's the difference between extended plane and extended space? There's only one extended plane in extended space, right?
No, every plane in regular space corresponds to a different extended plane in extended space.

Extended plane and extended space are concepts used in geometry to expand the traditional Euclidean space. In traditional Euclidean geometry, a plane is a flat surface that extends infinitely in all directions and has no thickness. Similarly, space is a three-dimensional extension of this concept, with length, width, and height.

In extended plane and extended space, these concepts are extended further to include ideal points and lines. Ideal points are points that do not have a physical location but are used to represent points at infinity. They are often denoted by the symbol "∞" and are used to extend lines and planes infinitely.

In extended space, each two distinct planes will meet at a single line. This means that there is only one ideal line for each plane. This is because in extended space, all points at infinity are considered to be the same point. So, any line that extends to infinity from a plane will intersect with all other lines that extend from other planes at the same point at infinity.

The main difference between extended plane and extended space is that extended plane only includes ideal points and lines in a two-dimensional plane, while extended space includes these concepts in a three-dimensional space. In extended space, there is only one extended plane, as all planes are considered to be parallel to each other and intersect at infinity.

It is important to note that extended plane and extended space are theoretical concepts and are not physically tangible. They are used in geometry to expand the traditional concepts of points, lines, and planes and to aid in solving complex geometric problems.

If you are looking for more information on extended plane and extended space, there are many online resources available. You can start by searching for "extended plane and extended space" or "ideal points and lines in geometry" to find articles, videos, and other materials that can help you understand these concepts in more depth. Additionally, consulting a geometry textbook or seeking guidance from a math teacher or tutor can also be helpful in understanding these concepts.

What is an extended plane?

An extended plane is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of a traditional plane to include points at infinity. This means that lines that appear to be parallel in a traditional plane can actually intersect at a point at infinity in an extended plane.

What is the difference between a traditional plane and an extended plane?

The main difference between a traditional plane and an extended plane is that the extended plane includes points at infinity. This allows for more complex and accurate mathematical calculations and constructions.

How is an extended plane represented?

An extended plane is typically represented by adding a line or arrow symbol above or below the traditional plane, indicating that points at infinity are included.

What are some real-world applications of an extended plane?

An extended plane is commonly used in the fields of geometry, astronomy, and physics to describe and analyze objects and phenomena that involve infinite distances or points.

Is an extended plane a physical or theoretical concept?

An extended plane is a theoretical concept used in mathematics and other sciences to better understand and model the world around us. It is not a physical object that can be observed or measured.