Z-particle creation with relativistic e-beams

In summary, the aim of a particle scattering event is to let an electron and a positron collide and annihilate each other to form a Z-particle. The (rest) masses of these particles are given by: m_e- c^2 = m_e+ c^2 = 0.511 MeV, m_Z c^2 = 91.187GeV. There are two ways the experiment could be done, one way is to take a beam of positrons and fire these at a target containing (almost) stationary electrons, the other is to take a beam of positrons and a beam of electrons moving with equal speeds in opposite directions. The energy required in the two different processes is determined.
Sojourner01

Homework Statement

The aim in a particle scattering event is to let an electron and a positron collide and annihilate each other to form a Z-particle. The (rest) masses of these particles are given by:
[tex]m_e- c^2 = m_e+ c^2 = 0.511 MeV[/tex]
[tex]m_Z c^2 = 91.187GeV[/tex]

There are two ways the experiment could be done. One way is to take a beam of positrons and fire these at a target containing (almost) stationary electrons. The other is to take a beam of positrons and a beam of electrons moving with equal speeds in opposite directions.

Determine the energies required in the two different processes.

Homework Equations

Given in accompanying notes:

[tex]\\mathbb{P}_1 \\cdot \\mathbb{P}_1 = -(m_i c)^2
=(\\mathbb{P}_3 - \\mathbb{P}_2) \\cdot ( \\mathbb{P}_3 - \\mathbb{P}_2)
=-(m_3 c)^2 - (m_2 c)^2 + 2 m_3 c E_2 / c[/tex]

This formula replaces one P term of the final term with E2/c - which is fair enough, makes sense. To solve for a target case, there's a little jigging about but the method is essentially the same.

The problem I have is that using this method - taking conservation of momentum and ensuring that the zero 3-momentum term of the electron's 4-momentum cancels in the dot product, I can't see why one cannot solve this equation in exactly the same way for the electron and the positron, thus giving the same answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above - it's the given formula I have a problem with, not the method itself. I'd like to use what I've been given if at all possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your tex didn't come out so well. But the thing to remember is that M_Z*c^2 worth of mass energy in the center of mass frame in each case.

Gah. I can never get the hand of tex.

Nevermind. I've sorted this out now, problem solved.

1. What is a Z-particle?

A Z-particle is a type of subatomic particle that is classified as a boson and is responsible for mediating the weak nuclear force. It has a mass of around 91.2 GeV/c² and is electrically neutral.

2. How are Z-particles created?

Z-particles can be created through the process of particle collisions, specifically when high-energy electrons (e-beams) collide with positrons (antimatter counterparts of electrons). This process is often carried out using particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

3. What is relativistic e-beam?

A relativistic e-beam is a beam of high-energy electrons that is moving at a velocity close to the speed of light. These types of e-beams are used in experiments to study subatomic particles and their interactions, such as in the creation of Z-particles.

4. What is the significance of Z-particle creation with relativistic e-beams?

The creation of Z-particles with relativistic e-beams allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of these particles in a controlled environment. This can provide valuable insights into the fundamental forces of nature and the structure of matter.

5. What are the potential applications of Z-particle creation with relativistic e-beams?

Z-particle creation with relativistic e-beams has potential applications in various fields, such as particle physics research, medical imaging, and nuclear energy. It can also contribute to the development of new technologies, such as particle accelerators and detectors.