Describe Charge Distribution on Spheres After They Touch

In summary: Other than this, your first summary is correct. As for the second question, after the spheres touch, the electrons will distribute themselves evenly between the two spheres, neutralizing both. So, the spheres will remain in the position at which they touched. Hope this helps!In summary, when S-Left is brought near a strong negatively charged object, it will have charge separation due to induction. As it is moved away, the charge separation will still be present. S-Right, being a conductor with no net charge, will be attracted towards the approaching S-Left due to the movement of electrons towards that side. After the spheres touch, the electrons will evenly distribute between the two spheres, neutralizing both and causing them to remain in the position
opticaltempest
I am trying to correctly understand the following problem:

Here is the setup:
I have two conducting spherical shells. We will call them S-Left and S-Right. Both spherical shells are initially grounded, therefore, they have no net charge w.r.t. Earth. S-Right is hanging from a string. S-Left is brought near a strong negatively charged object for a few seconds and then moved away. The side of S-Left that was brought near the negatively charged object is then slowly brought near S-Right until they both touch.

1. Describe the motion of S-Right as S-Left approaches.

My summary: S-Left still has no net charge but it does have charge separation due to induction. S-Left will have more positive charge on the side that is approaching S-Right. Since S-Right has no net charge and no charge separation, it will be attracted towards S-Left since electrons will move toward the side facing the approaching S-Left. The electrons will move towards the side nearest S-Left because S-Right feels the effects from the positive charges on S-Left more than the negative charges on S-Left due to negative charges being farther away on the other side of S-Left sphere.

2. Describe the motion of S-Right after the two spheres touch and S-Left is held in place.

My summary: I'm not sure. Neither spheres have a net charge but S-Left has charge separation. Do the electrons in both spheres evenly distribute between both spheres and remove the induced charge on S-Left? If this happened then both spheres will simply stay in the position at which they touched. Correct?

Is my answer for 1. correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
opticaltempest said:
S-Left is brought near a strong negatively charged object for a few seconds and then moved away./QUOTE]

Given this sentence in the statement and that the spheres are conductors, can you explain to me why S-Left would have charge separation?

Would S-Left not have any charge separation?

S-Left would have to have some separation of charge when it is near the large negative charge - correct? Am I incorrect in assuming that the charge separation stays on S-Left when it is moved away from the large negative charge?

The charges in a conductor are mobile. They won't maintain any separation w/o an external field.

What is charge distribution?

Charge distribution refers to the way that electric charge is spread out or distributed on an object or a system of objects.

How does charge distribution change when two spheres touch?

When two spheres touch, the charge distribution changes because the electric charges on the two spheres will redistribute themselves in order to reach an equilibrium state. This means that the positive and negative charges will spread out more evenly across the two spheres.

What happens to the charges on the two spheres after they touch?

After the two spheres touch, the charges on the two spheres will redistribute themselves in order to reach an equilibrium state. This means that the excess positive charges on one sphere will flow to the other sphere, and vice versa, until the charges on each sphere are evenly distributed.

What factors affect the charge distribution on spheres after they touch?

The factors that affect the charge distribution on spheres after they touch include the amount of charge on each sphere, the distance between the spheres, and the material properties of the spheres (such as conductivity or insulating properties).

Why is understanding charge distribution important in scientific research?

Understanding charge distribution is important in scientific research because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged objects and systems. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry, where electric charge plays a significant role. Additionally, understanding charge distribution can also help us develop new technologies and applications, such as in the fields of electronics and energy storage.