PF PHOTO CONTEST - Green With Envy (3/17-3/23)

In summary, this week's photo contest theme is "Green With Envy" in honor of St. Patrick's Day. Participants are asked to submit a photo with green as the dominant color. Contest rules include only submitting one photo per member, resizing the photo to a certain pixel limit, and not altering the photo in any way. The winning photo will be chosen by a PF member poll. In addition, contestants are reminded to only submit photos they have personally taken. The conversation also included a discussion about Google Earth and its high resolution images, as well as a few submissions of photos for the contest.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Green With Envy

Just in time for St. Patrick's Day this weekend, our theme for this week will be the color GREEN. Your picture must have the color green as the dominant color in the picture.

Good luck of the Irish.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
A squirrel treefrog:

http://www.astroskwurl.net/PF/Green.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, not my best work, but the center of attention is green...

http://bikeflat.com/albums/intrikat/DSC_1906.sized.jpg

Well, this is no contest-winner, but it's interesting in a way. I was snowshoeing though my wood-lot a week or so ago and saw this collection of white pine and fir needles in a depression in the snow. The temperature had not been out of the high 20's since the last snow fall, yet these had melted themselves into the snow. They were in the middle of an old logging road and got plenty of sun every day, and apparently re-radiated enough of that energy away in the infrared to melt the snow in the immediate area. I suspect that the melted-out hole constituted a bit of a micro-climate, too and hastened the melting even more as long as there was not enough of a breeze to sweep out the warmed air.

Edit: Maybe I can get a couple of sympathy votes for invoking some physics, at least. The image isn't pretty, but seeing this little grouping of organic stuff huddled in the snow made me stop and think for a while. The thermal mass of that material can't be much, but the IR radiation sure had an effect on the snow.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2546/pinesnowue9.jpg

Not a winner either, but I selected this green lakeside guardian, because it is clearly visible at Google Earth, branch for branch.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/grsg.JPG

Paste
47.70368N 9.19123E

into the Google Earth "fly to" field and descend to some 1400 feet AMSL That's the tree, and while you're there, why not explore Manaus *flower* island a little, one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Not being able to visit it could make you ... green with envy...of those who do.

SpaceTiger said:
A squirrel treefrog:
Nice image, and you can't get much greener than that! It ain't easy...not that I'd know. OK, growing up in Maine in the 50's-60's and being of predominantly French-Canadian heritage, I did get called "frog" a lot.

Last edited:
This is the "Emerald pool" at Yellowstone NP.

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/pool.jpg

Lime green

424614393_b42b04ad28_o.jpg

Andre said:
Not a winner either, but I selected this green lakeside guardian, because it is clearly visible at Google Earth, branch for branch.

Paste
47.70368N 9.19123E

into the Google Earth "fly to" field and descend to some 1400 feet AMSL That's the tree, and while you're there, why not explore Manaus *flower* island a little, one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Not being able to visit it could make you ... green with envy...of those who do.

Wow, they did some nice things with Google Earth! Can anyone just add pictures and locations to it? Now you can really virtually explore entire cities.

Unfortunately that super high resolution is limited to that NE area of Lake Constance (Bodensee) for now.

Pyrenees
message too short blah blah
edit: errrg

Last edited:
TuviaDaCat said:
Pyrenees
message too short blah blah

If you intended to participate in this contest, please read the rules in the first post, especially on how to submit your photo. Attachment is not accepted.

Zz.

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Cool picture. Looks very professional, you are good with a camera :smile:

Thanks DDMC! It is a bit overexposed but I liked that color green versus the correctly exposed one.

Andre said:
Unfortunately that super high resolution is limited to that NE area of Lake Constance (Bodensee) for now.

woa, i didn't know google Earth had images that high resolution! I've never seen anywhere in north america imaged that good even the cities...is there anything else really high res like this, guys?

The lush forrest along the Columbia River valley.

pac030139wv7.jpg

Zz.

Okay, by now everyone can guess where this was taken without me telling them. :rolleyes: I don't have anything else notably green unless I went for another shameless attempt at getting cute cat "awww" votes with pictures of Ember on the couch that's green plaid. This seems to better fit the theme anyway.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3446/greenhi9.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~Integral50/Photo_contest/HPIM1001a.JPG

Medows edge trail on Marys Peak Or.

ZapperZ said:

pac030139wv7.jpg

Zz.
Mr. Gump was not a drinker, as far as I know. :rofl:

ZapperZ said:

pac030139wv7.jpg

Zz.

Not to be a nit picker... Well ok to be a nit picker.. that is most likely in the Columbia River Gorge... Valley just does not sound right to these old Oregonian ears...:biggrin:

Integral said:
Not to be a nit picker... Well ok to be a nit picker.. that is most likely in the Columbia River Gorge... Valley just does not sound right to these old Oregonian ears...:biggrin:

Hmmph! We've seen that waterfall before! People need to find other things to take pictures of in OR. :rofl: (I believe that's the waterfall I was supposed to visit years ago, but due to inept drivers and navigators on that part of the trip, never found it. :grumpy:)

Moonbear said:
Hmmph! We've seen that waterfall before! People need to find other things to take pictures of in OR. :rofl: (I believe that's the waterfall I was supposed to visit years ago, but due to inept drivers and navigators on that part of the trip, never found it. :grumpy:)

No, I don't believe you have seen that waterfall before. I think someone may have used the Multnomah <sp?> waterfall, but in the Columbia River GORGE, there are dozens of waterfall, almost one at every turn. This one is one of the smaller one and set rather far back into the lush green FOREST.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
No, I don't believe you have seen that waterfall before. I think someone may have used the Multnomah <sp?> waterfall, but in the Columbia River GORGE, there are dozens of waterfall, almost one at every turn. This one is one of the smaller one and set rather far back into the lush green FOREST.

Zz.

Ahh... that sounds better ! :rofl:

Yep there are lots of falls in the gorge, it is a beautiful drive if you get off of I84 and onto the old road.

Just a reminder that you have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.

Ah...though, sheesh, they are all starting to look the same to me. :rolleyes: That's okay, I don't think any of us has a chance against the frog on the leaf.

Moonbear said:
Ah...though, sheesh, they are all starting to look the same to me. :rolleyes: That's okay, I don't think any of us has a chance against the frog on the leaf.
Yeah, that little amphibian has got green nailed! Larkspur's photo is very nice, too, though my mouth gets kind of puckery when I look at it.:yuck: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
Hmmph! We've seen that waterfall before! People need to find other things to take pictures of in OR. :rofl:

Oh don't worry, there are plenty of waterfalls to take pictures of in Oregon,:biggrin: :

http://geology.com/waterfalls/oregon.shtml

Moonbear said:
Ow! My eyes! The light is blinding me! :cool:

Hey, as long as it is green..
:biggrin:

Green fountain -- Trafalgar Square

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/7567/londonmarch2005001iw0.jpg

SM_WP.jpg

I'll slip one in at the last minute:
The Kermit float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, 2002.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9872/kermit1ppnu0.jpg

FredGarvin said:
I'll slip one in at the last minute:
The Kermit float in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade, 2002.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9872/kermit1ppnu0.jpg
[/URL]
HA! That's perfect Fred!

"A weed is but an unloved flower."

green.jpg

0TheSwerve0 said:
"A weed is but an unloved flower."

... that kills everything around it.

twisting_edge said:
SM_WP.jpg
Amazing that is just a tiny whirlpool in a large fountain. You have an uncanny eye for capturing things others wouldn't even notice.