Pressure as a function of depth

In summary, the conversation discusses a 16.8 m tall oil-filled barometer with a barometer column that is 80.0% filled with oil. The column of a mercury barometer has a height of 722mm Hg, and the density of mercury is 1.36 x 10^4 kg/m^3. Using the equations P=Po + pgh and D=m/v, the density of oil can be calculated by setting the absolute pressure of oil equal to that of mercury and solving for the density of oil. The conversation also clarifies that Xrho refers to the density of the oil and Hgrho refers to the density of mercury. The height of the oil in the barometer is 13
elitespart
1. There is a 16.8 m tall oil-filled barometer. The barometer column is 80.0% filled w/ oil when the column of a mercury barometer has a height of 722mm Hg. If the density of mercury is 1.36 x 10^4 kg/m^3, what is the density of oil?

Homework Equations

P=Po + pgh
D=m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

so the oil barometer has 13.44 m of oil. I know density of the mercury and the height of the mercury barometer. Do i have to set abs. pressure of oil to that of mercury and go from there? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a picture that goes along with this problem? Its worded in a way that confuses me (and you too, no doubt)?

Assuming the most straightforward situation,

Pa+Xrho*g*h=Pa+Hgrho*g*h. the Pa for ambient or atmospheric pressure cancel. G divides out. Does that help?

yeah it is worded a bit weird. Ok, so what's Xrho and Hgrho. Do u mean the density of the oil and mercury by that? And also for the depth of the oil, do i use 16.8 or 13.44 which is the height of the oil in the barometer?

Last edited:
yep I should bite the bullet and download Latex, but yes rho(density) for oil and Hg. And assuming these are separate physical systems, the height for oil would be 13.44

thx bro appreciate it.

No prob, keep coming back ;-D

1. How does pressure change with depth?

The pressure increases with depth. This is because as depth increases, there is more weight of water above, which exerts a greater force on the area below.

2. What is the equation for pressure as a function of depth?

The equation is P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the liquid.

3. How does the density of the liquid affect pressure at different depths?

The density of the liquid directly affects pressure at different depths. Liquids with higher density will have a greater pressure at the same depth compared to liquids with lower density.

4. Does the shape of the container affect pressure at different depths?

Yes, the shape of the container does affect pressure at different depths. In a wider container, the pressure will be spread out over a larger area and will be less compared to a narrower container where the pressure will be concentrated over a smaller area and will be greater.

5. How does pressure as a function of depth relate to buoyancy?

Pressure as a function of depth plays a role in buoyancy. The greater the pressure at deeper depths, the more buoyant force is exerted on objects that are less dense than the liquid, causing them to float.