TI-89 vs. Titanium: Which Graphing Calculator Is Best for Calculus?

In summary: The big difference is the USB cable. It makes it VERY easy to transfer data to the device. I've transferred some very useful software to my calculator, and it was very painless using the USB cable.
dtl42
Hello all, I am a high school student, who will be taking Calculus I, I need to upgrade from my TI-84+SE so I am considering either the 89 or the Titanium. The only differences I know of are the memory and the processor speed. Are there any other differences?

Which have you guys used and liked?

I already ruled out HP, so don't bother trying to convince me! (I am a little resistant to change)

I know I cannot use the calculator on the exams or anything, but it will be useful for the SATs and more...

Any input is welcome.
Thanks a lot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
dtl42 said:
Hello all, I am a high school student, who will be taking Calculus I, I need to upgrade from my TI-84+SE so I am considering either the 89 or the Titanium. The only differences I know of are the memory and the processor speed. Are there any other differences?

Which have you guys used and liked?

I already ruled out HP, so don't bother trying to convince me! (I am a little resistant to change)

I know I cannot use the calculator on the exams or anything, but it will be useful for the SATs and more...

Any input is welcome.
Thanks a lot.

Get the titanium. Please please please, get in the habit of only using it to check your answers. Trust me on this.

Why the Titanium though? Its much more expensive, is the memory and speed worth anything? Does it make a difference?

dtl42 said:
Why the Titanium though? Its much more expensive, is the memory and speed worth anything? Does it make a difference?
I agree with that. My 89 is just as good as the Titanium, just without a USB cable. Yes, the clock is a bit slower but it doesn't make a noticeable difference. I prefer the 89's looks anyway.

Not much of a difference. It's nice to have the large amount of ram, but definitely not necessary. I've never come close to filling it, but if I need it, it is there.

The big difference is the USB cable. It makes it VERY easy to transfer data to the device. I've transferred some very useful software to my calculator, and it was very painless using the USB cable.

I wasn't aware of this when I bought the 89, but just so you know. You cannot use it on the PE or FE exam. So as I warned, make sure you do not become too dependent on it.

The original 89 is not in production anymore. So looks like you have no choice. Its not listed in the purchase section on Texas Instruments' website.

1. What is the difference between the Original TI-89 and the Titanium version?

The Original TI-89 was released in 1998, while the Titanium version was released in 2004. The Titanium version has a faster processor, more memory, and an updated operating system. It also has a different design and color scheme.

2. Can the Original TI-89 programs be used on the Titanium version?

Yes, the Titanium version is backwards compatible with the Original TI-89 programs. However, some programs may need to be updated or modified to take advantage of the Titanium's improved features.

3. Is the Titanium version more expensive than the Original TI-89?

Yes, the Titanium version is typically more expensive than the Original TI-89. This is due to its upgraded features and improved performance.

4. Can the Titanium version perform all the same functions as the Original TI-89?

Yes, the Titanium version can perform all the same functions as the Original TI-89. In fact, it can perform some functions faster and more efficiently due to its improved hardware and software.

5. Is the Titanium version worth the extra cost compared to the Original TI-89?

This ultimately depends on your specific needs and usage. If you require faster performance and more memory, then the Titanium version may be worth the extra cost. However, if you only need basic calculator functions, the Original TI-89 may suffice.