How to measure extremely high and low temperatures?

• Thread starter kwon1jw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to measure extreme temperatures, such as using thermocouple thermometers, blackbody radiation, and optical pyrometers. The speaker also mentions a website that sells these instruments and expresses appreciation for this site as a helpful resource for learning physics. Additionally, the conversation touches on estimating the temperature of the sun using the color of its emission and a challenge involving a meter stick and thermometer. The conversation concludes with a request for a website or description of thermometers that can measure temperatures below -80 degrees and above 2000 degrees for a course.
kwon1jw
I understand that the range of extreme temperature is from 0-15million K. What are the ways that we can measure this? How did they figure out the temperature of the sun?

thermocouple thermometer? blackbody radiation? optical pyrometer? I've tried searching for general information on these online but they usually take me to pages that sell thermometers and pyrometers.

I just registered because I'm taking an introductory online physics course where I have to teach myself basically. This looks like a great site which I will be reading very often to help myself get through physics. I'm pretty intimidated by this subject (and this forum!) because I have never taken a physics class and I'm having some issues already so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to measure the temperature of the sun is to simply model it as a blackbody and determine it by the color - which wavelength is most of the emission in. Another way is the famous exercise of Lifschitz (I think) who challenged a student to estimate the temperature of the sun with a meter stick and thermometer (and a knowledge of thermodynamics). Can you guess what that might have involved?

Yes, blackbody can work. Generally, it becomes an issue of statistical mechanics and thermodynamics, but it will really depend on just how low and just how high of temperatures you are thinking of. Is there a specific question you have?

hello fellow members i just need to know a site on which i can find a picture and description of thermometers that go below -80 degrees and above 2000 degrees or you can tell me the description here b ut i really need this for my course work and it would be good if you could help out:wink:

1. How do you measure extremely high and low temperatures?

Extremely high and low temperatures can be measured using specialized instruments such as thermocouples, pyrometers, and cryogenic thermometers.

2. What is the range of temperatures that can be measured?

The range of temperatures that can be measured depends on the specific instrument being used. For example, thermocouples can measure temperatures up to 2,000 degrees Celsius while cryogenic thermometers can measure temperatures as low as -273.15 degrees Celsius.

3. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when measuring extremely high and low temperatures?

Yes, when measuring extremely high temperatures, it is important to wear protective gear and handle the instruments carefully to avoid burns. When measuring extremely low temperatures, it is important to handle the instruments with insulated gloves to protect against frostbite.

4. How accurate are the measurements of extremely high and low temperatures?

The accuracy of the measurements depends on the precision and calibration of the instrument being used. In general, thermocouples have an accuracy of around 1 degree Celsius, while cryogenic thermometers have an accuracy of around 0.1 degrees Celsius.

5. Can extremely high and low temperatures be measured in real-time?

Yes, many instruments used to measure extremely high and low temperatures have the capability to provide real-time measurements. This is especially important in industrial and scientific applications where quick and accurate temperature readings are necessary.