Angle plus horizontal velocity,

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving projectile motion. The problem involves finding the vertical displacement, time in the air, horizontal displacement, and initial velocity of an object fired at a 20 degree angle with a horizontal velocity of 30m/s. The solution involves using equations for basic motion - free falling body and utilizing trigonometry to find the necessary values. The conversation also mentions the urgency of the problem due to an upcoming test.
trustabdy
if an object is fired at a 20 degree angle and has a horizontal velocity of 30m/s, what is the vertical displacement, how long the ball is in the air, horizontal displacement, original velocity of the ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
help?

You need to show some work. Do you have any relevation equations for projectile motion?

basic motion - free falling body. range is straight line

trustabdy said:
basic motion - free falling body. range is straight line

OK, so what are the applicable equations for basic motion - free falling body and how does that relate to the problem statement?

if u help me find the initial velocity or time i could find the the problems myself

The easiest part is the initial velocity. You are given an angle and the horizontal component of the velocity. Draw a triangle and use some trig.

okay i can't do t the trig and i have a test tommorow please show me how to do it

never mind i got it. thanks for reminding me about the trig

1. What is the relationship between angle and horizontal velocity?

The angle of a projectile's initial velocity determines the initial horizontal velocity. The horizontal velocity remains constant throughout the projectile's motion, while the vertical velocity changes due to the influence of gravity.

2. How does the angle of a projectile affect its range?

The angle of a projectile's initial velocity significantly affects its range. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, as it results in an equal vertical and horizontal displacement.

3. Can the horizontal velocity of a projectile be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the horizontal velocity of a projectile can never exceed the initial velocity. The horizontal velocity is always equal to the initial velocity since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction.

4. How does air resistance affect the angle and horizontal velocity of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the horizontal velocity of a projectile, as it acts in the opposite direction of motion. The angle of the projectile may also be affected, as air resistance can cause the projectile to deviate from its intended path.

5. Can the angle of a projectile be negative?

Yes, the angle of a projectile can be negative if it is measured in the clockwise direction from the positive x-axis. This is commonly seen in mathematics and physics problems, but in real-world situations, angles are typically measured in the counter-clockwise direction starting from the positive x-axis.