Triple Integral Help Needed - Can Anyone Help?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a triple integral with the given surface and volume boundaries. The person is having difficulty setting up the problem and is looking for help and resources. The conversation also includes a discussion about the correct bounds of integration and a suggestion to split the integral into two parts due to the shape of the boundaries.
beckyroar
Triple Integral Help :(

Can anyone help me with this triple integral problem? I'm sorry I don't know how to post the script properly; I'm a complete newb.

It's a surface integral problem- that part is not important- I have to calculate a triple integral where S is the surface of the volume bounded by z=1-x^2 and the planes z=0, y=0, and y+z=2

I am having difficulty setting this up- if anyone can post any relevant information, or direct me to any sites that are phenomenal in helping with triple integrals, in would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the variables of integration for the 3 integrals?

That's where I'm having the problem, finding the bounds of the three integrals. The computation itself I feel as though I can work out, if I have the right bounds of integration

If anyone can calculate the triple integral of 3y for the bounds that I mentioned above, let me know if you get 144/35...if you want to do that for fun? ahaha :(
The bounds that I used were x ranges from -1 to 1, Z ranges from 0 to 1-x^2, and y ranges from 0 to 2-Z. Does anyone else htink that this looks correct?

I hadn't had time to look at this before. z= 1- x^2 is a "parabolic cylinder" with axis running along the y-axis. It's highest point (z max) comes when x= 0 and is at z= 2. y+ z= 2 is a plane crossing the xz-plane in the line z= 2 (above the parabola) and the xy-plane at y= 2. The plane crosses the parabolic cylinder when z= 2- y = 1- x^2 or y= x^2+ 1. The fact that that does not cross the y= 0 threw me for a moment! What that means is that you have to do the integral in two different parts. As long as we are below the parabola y= x^2+ 1, our upper boundary is z= 1- y^2, the parabolic cylinder. After that the upper boundary is z= 2- y, the plane.
You will need to do this as two integrals. The first integral will have x from -1 to 1, for each x, y from 0 to x^2+ 1, for each (x,y), z from 0 to 1- y^2. The second integral will have x from -1 to 1, for each x, y from x^2+ 1 to 2, for each (x,y), z from 0 to 2- y.

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used in multi-variable calculus to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or the mass of a solid object.

2. How do you solve a triple integral?

To solve a triple integral, you first need to set up the integral using the appropriate limits of integration for each variable. Then, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitutions to evaluate the integral.

3. What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the center of mass of a solid object, finding the moment of inertia of a rigid body, and determining the electric field due to a three-dimensional charge distribution.

4. Can you use technology to solve triple integrals?

Yes, there are several software programs and online tools available that can help with solving triple integrals. These tools use numerical methods to approximate the value of the integral.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with triple integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with triple integrals include incorrectly setting up the limits of integration, forgetting to include the appropriate differential terms (such as dx, dy, dz), and making errors during the integration process.