Bizarre theory-Could there be any truth in this?

• Thread starter Liger20
  • Start date
In summary, this theory suggests that everything we think or create in our universe exists in another universe or world. It is a bizarre concept, but has some scientific backing. However, it is still very speculative. There is no way to discuss it rationally if it is based on nothing more than a "whispering".
Liger20
Hey, first of all, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. I thought about posting in the philosophy thread, but I decided I'd rather have a more scientific answer to my question. Okay, this is probably going to sound really strange, but here it goes:

For several years, I've heard whisperings of this theory, if you could even call it a theory. Every person I've heard it from says that it goes something like this:

Everything that people think or create, in stories, movies, books, thoughts, etc,
no matter how strange or bizarre, all become reality in some distant universe/world.

I'm not sure if anybody else here has heard of this. Personally, I think it sounds pretty weird, but my question is this: could there be any scientific veracity in this theory at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is in the wrong Forum.

However, if there are an infinite number of 'worlds' in our universe, or an infinite number of universes, then you could argue that anything that is not actually impossible must occur somewhere, no matter how improbable it may be. In fact it must occur an infinite number of times in an infinite number of 'somewheres".

Bizarre, but that's infinity for you...

Garth

Liger20 said:
Hey, first of all, I apologize if I'm posting in the wrong place. I thought about posting in the philosophy thread, but I decided I'd rather have a more scientific answer to my question. Okay, this is probably going to sound really strange, but here it goes:

For several years, I've heard whisperings of this theory, if you could even call it a theory. Every person I've heard it from says that it goes something like this:

Everything that people think or create, in stories, movies, books, thoughts, etc,
no matter how strange or bizarre, all become reality in some distant universe/world.

I'm not sure if anybody else here has heard of this. Personally, I think it sounds pretty weird, but my question is this: could there be any scientific veracity in this theory at all?
You're probably thinking of the Many Worlds Interpretation - MWI of Quantum Mechanics. It's not to do with stories or movies, but an action taken in this universe would have a different action in a parallel universe, but even that is too simplistic an answer.

And this is not the correct forum.

This is something that philosophers have known for a long time. Some great expositors include Plato, Liebniz, Hegel, Shopanhauer.

Although, even an infinite number of universes are not enough to insure the existence of anything that is possible. It would have to be sufficently infinite.

Liger20 said:

We cannot discuss anything on any rational fashion if it is based on nothing more than a "whispering". PF isn't in the business of gossips.

Unless you are able to come up with a more concrete reference or description of what it is that you're trying to ask, then there's no way you can expect any kind of clear or accurate answer, because the starting point here (i.e. your question) is vague.

Zz.

I believe that its very likely that the OP's question ultimately relates to the question of how we interpret quantum mechanics, so I'm moving it to the QM forum.

1. What is the "bizarre theory" and why is it considered bizarre?

The "bizarre theory" refers to a scientific hypothesis or explanation that is considered unconventional or highly unusual by mainstream science. It often goes against established theories and may not have enough evidence to support it.

2. How is a "bizarre theory" different from a conspiracy theory?

A "bizarre theory" is based on scientific principles and is subject to testing and scrutiny, while a conspiracy theory is often based on speculation and lacks scientific evidence.

3. Can a "bizarre theory" have any truth to it?

It is possible for a "bizarre theory" to have some truth to it, but it is important to approach it with caution and critical thinking. It is the responsibility of the scientific community to thoroughly investigate and test any new theories before accepting them as truth.

4. What is the role of scientists in evaluating "bizarre theories"?

Scientists have a responsibility to approach all theories, including "bizarre theories", with an open mind and to critically evaluate them using the scientific method. This involves testing and gathering evidence to support or refute the theory before it can be accepted as truth.

5. Are there any examples of "bizarre theories" that turned out to be true?

There have been cases where theories that were once considered bizarre or unconventional have been proven to be true. One example is the theory of plate tectonics, which was initially met with skepticism but is now widely accepted in the scientific community.