Using Multiple Data Sets on One Graph in PSPICE: Changing X Variable

In summary, the conversation is about running a simulation on PSPICE to plot Vce against Ic for different base currents of a transistor. The speaker has managed to do this using the DC Sweep simulation with the primary sweep on the collector resistor and a parametric sweep on the base resistor. However, they are unable to change the X variable to the collector current and are looking for a solution. The other person suggests using an iterated sweep instead of variables and the speaker asks for further explanation.
hitman012
Hi,

I'm running a simulation on PSPICE in which I am trying to plot Vce against Ic for various base currents of a transistor, and I therefore need to have multiple data sets on one graph. I've managed to do this by using the DC Sweep simulation with the primary sweep on the collector resistor and a parametric sweep on the base resistor.

The resulting graph does have a data set for each value of the base resistance, but I am unable to change the X variable to the collector current: it gives me a message saying "Only 1 X variable is allowed" or something like that.

Is there a way round this?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So, you are plotting Vce against Ic for a range of stepped Ib's? I really don't think you need to use variables to do this. You can just do a iterated sweep sort of thing.

Could you explain how to do this? I've only been using PSPICE for a week or two, so I'm quite new to some of these features.

Many thanks for your response.

1. What is an X variable in PSPICE?

The X variable in PSPICE is a variable that represents an unknown quantity in an electrical circuit. It is typically used to represent the voltage or current at a specific node in the circuit.

2. How is the X variable defined in PSPICE?

The X variable can be defined using the .PARAM command in the PSPICE netlist. This allows the user to assign a value or expression to the variable.

3. Can I use multiple X variables in a single circuit in PSPICE?

Yes, you can use multiple X variables in a single circuit. This can be useful for analyzing more complex circuits with multiple unknown quantities.

4. How do I plot the values of X variables in PSPICE?

You can plot the values of X variables using the .PRINT or .PLOT commands in the PSPICE netlist. This will generate a graph of the variable's values over time or frequency.

5. Are there any limitations to using X variables in PSPICE?

There are a few limitations to using X variables in PSPICE. They cannot be used as part of the circuit element names, and they cannot be used in certain types of analyses such as AC sweep or noise analysis.