Need Help with Yield Strength for FEA

In summary, the conversation revolves around an aspiring mechanical engineer designing an assembly using a high-performance polymer. The engineer needs to provide various information, including elastic modulus, Poisson's ratio, shear modulus, thermal expansion coefficient, density, thermal conductivity, specific heat, tensile strength, and yield strength. The engineer is unsure about calculating the yield strength and shear modulus and is considering asking the manufacturer for additional information. The expert suggests using equations assuming an isotropic material and recommends asking the manufacturer for data sheets.
Bumbleflea
Hi, folks,

I'm an aspiring Mechanical Engineer, & as such am very new to the subject of stress, strain, etc. I'm designing an assembly using a hi-performance polymer that has the following characteristics:

Tensile Strength, 73°F 10.1 kpsi (10,100 psi)
Tensile Modulus (E) 340 kpsi (340,000 psi)
Tensile Elongation @ Yield 7.2%
Tensile Elongation @ Break 60-120%
Flexural Strength, 73°F 13.2 kpsi
Flexural Modulus, 73°F 350 kpsi
Tensile Impact Strength 190 ft-lb/in^2
Izod Impact, Notched, 73°F 13 ft-lb/in^2

In order to model my FEA under Cosmo/Solidworks, I need to supply the following information: (Most, I believe, I have derived.)

Elastic(Tensile?) Modulus E=340,000 lb/in^2
Poissons Ratio ν=(E/(2*μ))-1
Shear Modulus μ=??
Thermal Expansion Cooeficient 31 ppm/°F = 3.1e-006
Density .0466 lbs/in^3
Thermal Conductivity ---??
Specific Heat 0.27 BTU/lb-degF
Tensile Strength 10100 lb/in^2
Yield Strength (Flexural?) ??

I'm particularly confused about the Yield Strength. Can it be determined with available information? What about the Shear Modulus? I'm also not sure it's appropriate to enter the "Tensile Modulus" into the field for "Elastic Modulus" as I know the latter is more general than the former. Thanks for any help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are using equations assuming an isotropic material. As long as you are OK with that assumption you are almost there.

Shear Modulus (I am used to G for this): [tex]\mu=\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}[/tex]

You are caught a bit in a circular reference though, because you are using shear modulus to calculate Poisson's Ratio already. Do you happen to know the bulk modulus for this material? There are a set of relations that you can use to calculate all of these (plus some others) based on having two already. They are [tex]E, \nu, \mu, \lambda[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex].

Thermal conductivity is not really something you can calculate without testing. The same goes for yield stress. Depending on what the stress-strain curve looks like, there may not be a distinctive yield point. You need to get that from the manufacturer as well. Tensile modulus and Elastic modulus are the same thing. They are both derived from a tensile test in uniaxial loading.

Last edited:
Thanks, Fred, for your reply. Although I'm not certain, I've not yet found any reason to consider the polymer (polyphenylsulfone) anisotropic. And yes, you're right: I don't know either the shear modulus or Poisson's ratio (or the bulk modulus) for this material. I have discovered the set of relations you allude to (on wikipedia.) I'll take your advice & ask the manufacturer for additional information, & I'm glad to have your feedback beforehand.

These are the hurdles facing one aspiring to transcend mere drafting, eh?

-BF

Last edited:
Asking the manufacturer is really the best way to go. Most times they'll have data sheets that you can download from their web site.

There are plenty of hurdles, so don't fret it. You tackle one at a time. I too came from a drafting background.

Good luck.

What is yield strength?

Yield strength is the maximum stress a material can withstand without permanent deformation or failure. It is an important property to consider in materials used for structural or mechanical applications.

How is yield strength calculated?

Yield strength is calculated by dividing the maximum load applied to a material by its cross-sectional area. This is known as the yield stress and is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as MPa or ksi.

Why is yield strength important in FEA?

Yield strength is important in FEA because it helps determine the structural integrity and safety of a design. By analyzing the yield strength of different materials and components, engineers can make informed decisions about the suitability and reliability of their designs.

How do I determine the yield strength for FEA?

The yield strength for FEA can be determined by conducting material testing, such as tensile or compression tests, to obtain the required data. This data can then be used in FEA software to accurately simulate the behavior of the material under different loading conditions.

What are some factors that can affect yield strength?

The yield strength of a material can be influenced by various factors, such as temperature, strain rate, and material defects. Additionally, the type and composition of the material can also play a significant role in its yield strength.