Where does faraday's law come from (law of induction)

In summary, the origin of Faraday's Law can be traced back to Michael Faraday's experiments and his intuition. It was not derived in the traditional sense, but rather discovered through his research. It is explained in his book "Experimental Researches in Electricity". Clerk Maxwell later provided mathematical equations for it. To understand its connection to other laws, one can look at Einstein's 1905 paper on the electrodynamics of moving bodies.
DaNiEl!
hello,
i'm wondering where this law comes from. I'm currently reading Feynman's lectures. I skipped some parts but i don't think it says where it comes from. does anyone here know of a link, a book or the part in Feyman's lectures which mentions the origin of it? i know Maxwell's equations have been verified by experience but is this law really to be taken as an 'axiom' while it isn't connected with other facts (like coloumb's law and relativity) or has it been explained already? by the way, i have the same question about ampere's law/ bio-savart's law. i know one can be deduced from the other but how are these laws a consequence of 'simpler' known facts?

edit:i think the english word I'm looking for is 'derivation'. in the book i mentioned above it is described the idea of how the magnetic field comes from the special theory of relativity plus the equations for electrostatics. I'm wondering if the same doesn't apply to faraday's law since it deals with time, and time is dependent on the referential.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The original came from Michael Faraday's experiments and his extremely powerful intuition. He did not derive it in the way we normally think of derivation today. I believe the argument is in Experimental Researches in Electricity (or a name close to that). Try Googling that.

Clerk Maxwell really put the math in Faraday's Law.

Alright, i have found the book through google and i'll see if i find it in my university's library. Thank you.

special relativity & e/m

DaNiEl! said:
hello,
i'm wondering where this law comes from. I'm currently reading Feynman's lectures. I skipped some parts but i don't think it says where it comes from. does anyone here know of a link, a book or the part in Feyman's lectures which mentions the origin of it? i know Maxwell's equations have been verified by experience but is this law really to be taken as an 'axiom' while it isn't connected with other facts (like coloumb's law and relativity) or has it been explained already? by the way, i have the same question about ampere's law/ bio-savart's law. i know one can be deduced from the other but how are these laws a consequence of 'simpler' known facts?

edit:i think the english word I'm looking for is 'derivation'. in the book i mentioned above it is described the idea of how the magnetic field comes from the special theory of relativity plus the equations for electrostatics. I'm wondering if the same doesn't apply to faraday's law since it deals with time, and time is dependent on the referential.

If you desire to relate the electric and magnetic fields to special relativity, I would direct you to Einstein's 1905 paper "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies". It's a free download, and a Google search should turn it up. If you don't find it, e-mail me and I'll send it to you. BR.

What is Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric current. It states that when there is a change in the magnetic flux through a closed circuit, an electric current will be induced in that circuit.

Who discovered Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction was discovered by the English scientist Michael Faraday in the 1830s.

How did Faraday come up with his law of induction?

Faraday conducted a series of experiments in which he observed that when a magnet was moved near a closed circuit, an electric current was induced in the circuit. He then formulated his law of induction to explain this phenomenon.

What are the applications of Faraday's law of induction?

Faraday's law of induction has numerous practical applications, including generators, transformers, and induction motors. It is also the principle behind technologies such as wireless charging, magnetic levitation, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

Is Faraday's law of induction always true?

Yes, Faraday's law of induction is a fundamental law of electromagnetism and is always true. However, it is important to note that the induced current may vary in strength and direction depending on the specific circumstances of the system.