Force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnitude of the net force on a square loop of wire with side length a and carrying a current I1, located a distance d from an infinite wire also carrying a current I2. The formula for the force is given as F = I1*a*uo*I2*((1/2pi(d-0.5a)-(1/2pi(d+0.5a)). The conversation then defines the magnetic moment m of a current loop and asks for the force in terms of m, I2, a, d, and uo. The final solution is given as F = (m/a)*a*uo*I2*((1/2pi(d-0.5a)-(1/2
xinlan

Homework Statement

A square loop of wire with side length a carries a current I1 . The center of the loop is located a distance d from an infinite wire carrying a current I2. The infinite wire and loop are in the same plane; two sides of the square loop are parallel to the wire and two are perpendicular as shown.

1. What is the magnitude, F , of the net force on the loop?
I got that one, which is
F= I1*a*uo*I2*((1/2pi(d-0.5a)-(1/2pi(d+0.5a))

2. The magnetic moment m of a current loop is defined as the vector whose magnitude equals the area of the loop times the magnitude of the current flowing in it (m=IA), and whose direction is perpendicular to the plane in which the current flows. Find the magnitude, F , of the force on the loop from Part A in terms of the magnitude of its magnetic moment.
Express in terms of m,I2 ,a ,d , and uo .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

F= I1*a*uo*I2*((1/2pi(d-0.5a)-(1/2pi(d+0.5a))
since m=I/A, then I= m/A
F = (m/A)*a*uo*I2*((1/2pi(d-0.5a)-(1/2pi(d+0.5a))

Did I do it correct?

Thank you..

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    243.8 KB · Views: 2,651
Physics news on Phys.org
Get rid of the A. It equals a^2.

thank you Doc Al.. :)

What is the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop?

The force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop is the force of attraction or repulsion between the two objects due to their electric currents. This force is also known as the magnetic force.

How is the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop calculated?

The force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 x I1 x I2 x L) / (2π x d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wire and loop respectively, L is the length of the wire, and d is the distance between the wire and the center of the loop.

What factors affect the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop?

The force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop is affected by the magnitude of the electric currents, the distance between the objects, and the permeability of free space.

Can the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop be attractive and repulsive?

Yes, the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop can be both attractive and repulsive. It depends on the direction of the electric currents in the objects.

What is the significance of the force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop?

The force between an infinitely long wire and a square loop is significant in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their interactions with electric currents. It is also important in applications such as electromagnets and electric motors.