Biology essay on cell growth .

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment testing the limits of cell population growth. The data from the experiment is presented in a table and the person is having trouble understanding two of the questions that follow. The first question asks for a generalization about the growth of the cells over time, excluding the data from flask 3 which is considered faulty. The second question asks for a hypothesis to explain the generalization made in the first question.
addicted
I seriously need all the help I can get because I don't understand these last two questions of this essay, I got everything else figured out and done except for the two at the bottom. Details;
"A scientist designed the following experiment to test the limits of cell population growth. Cells were grown in six flasks under different temperature conditions. Each flask contained a nutrient broth of the same concentration. The table below shows the data obtained from the experiment. Study the table and answer the questions that follow in a well devolped essay."

Flask 1: Temp: 0 Vol of nutri: 500 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 1.0 Day 3: 1.0
Flask 2: Temp: 20 Vol of nutri: 500 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 1.2 Day 3: 1.2
Flask 3: Temp: 30 Vol of nutri: 1000 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 2.6 Day 3: 3.2
Flask 4: Temp: 40 Vol of nutri: 500 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 2.2 Day 3: 2.2
Flask 5: Temp: 50 Vol of nutri: 500 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 2.0 Day 3: 2.0
Flask 6: Temp: 60 Vol of nutri: 500 No of cells day 1: 1.0 Day 2: 1.4 Day 3: 1.4

Two questions I don't get;
D. Based on the data, what generalization can you make concerning the growth of a population of cells overtime? Exclude results from the flask with the faulty data.

E. Develop a hypothesis to account for the generalization you made in answer D.

please and thank you everybody.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some of your own effort before we can help you. Perhaps a brief summary of the first few questions will help provide some context as well. For example, in question D, they say to exclude the flask with faulty data...which flask is that, and how did you determine the data were faulty?

The faulty data is flask 3.. but, I can't even go into detail on those questions because I don't understand them. I'm not asking for answers, or for anyone else to do my work.. just for a little bit of a detailed explanation on what I'm supposed to do.

addicted said:
The faulty data is flask 3.. but, I can't even go into detail on those questions because I don't understand them. I'm not asking for answers, or for anyone else to do my work.. just for a little bit of a detailed explanation on what I'm supposed to do.

Okay, D is asking you to look for a pattern in the cell growth and describe it. If you look at every flask other than flask 3, what happens over each of the three days? Do you see a pattern? Describe that pattern.

For E, if you figure out the pattern they're asking about in D, you then are being asked to explain why you think that pattern is happening (generate an hypothesis). In this case, looking at what's different about flask 3 might give you a clue.

What is cell growth?

Cell growth refers to the process by which a cell increases in size and mass. This can occur through the synthesis of new cellular components or the absorption of external nutrients. Cell growth is essential for the development and maintenance of all living organisms.

What factors influence cell growth?

Cell growth is influenced by a variety of factors, including hormones, nutrients, growth factors, and environmental conditions such as temperature and pH. Genetic factors also play a role in regulating cell growth.

What is the purpose of cell growth?

The primary purpose of cell growth is to ensure the proper development and functioning of an organism. It allows cells to maintain their size and shape, replicate, and carry out their specific functions within the body.

How does cell growth contribute to disease?

Abnormal or uncontrolled cell growth can lead to diseases such as cancer. This occurs when cells divide and grow uncontrollably, forming tumors that can disrupt normal bodily functions. Understanding the mechanisms of cell growth is crucial in developing treatments for these diseases.

What are the methods used to study cell growth?

Cell growth can be studied using a variety of techniques, including cell culture, microscopy, and molecular biology. These methods allow scientists to observe and manipulate cells in controlled environments, providing insights into the processes and mechanisms of cell growth.