Applied mathematics: What can I expect to study?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of pursuing a degree in applied mathematics and the specific applications one can expect to study. The individual is confused about what applied mathematics entails and is interested in learning about its applications to scientific and physical phenomena. They are not interested in using math for economic or industrial problem-solving. The conversation also touches on the idea of specialization and the misconception of what applied mathematics really is. The final suggestion is to attend university and explore one's interests to determine their vocation.
Holocene
If I were to decide to pursue a degree in applied mathematics, what specific applications can one typically expect to study?

I’m just a little confused about what applied mathematics really is.

I want to learn about applications of mathematics to scientific/physical phenomena.

I am not interested at all about the application of mathematics to solving economic or industrial problems.

Should I consider another major?

What can I realistically expect to study?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Holocene said:
If I were to decide to pursue a degree in applied mathematics, what specific applications can one typically expect to study?

I’m just a little confused about what applied mathematics really is.

I want to learn about applications of mathematics to scientific/physical phenomena.

I am not interested at all about the application of mathematics to solving economic or industrial problems.

Should I consider another major?

What can I realistically expect to study?

Im not studying math but i have friends that does...

if you want to study physical phenomena there are also many area of mathemathics that physicist use: functional analysis, topology, algebraic geometry, symplectic geometries. But also statistical things and many others like computational stuff.

What I am learning, studying theorethical physics and science in geneally is that our world force us to specialize in something and makes our mind thiniking that a doctor cannot solve a very difficult Integral. (i don't either). this is WRONG WRONG WRONG.
In the past (Newton,fermat,descartes...) they were just looking for knowledge in the spirit of what a RESEARCHER should be.
So my suggestion is: go to University and do your first year, you'll find out by yourself waht is your vocation.

regards
marco

not interested in math in economics? i have a copy of Theory of Games and Economic Behavior by von neumann and morgenstern. not been able to read it yet but by glancing it looks like cool stuff.

I'm going to say this because I think a lot of people have an odd view on what applied mathematics really is. Applied math is NOT the study of making mathematics into real world things, but more of taking real world ideas and turning them into math. If given the choice between studying a theorem useful to engineering or an interesting theorem, I feel most applied people will pick the interesting theorem.

What is applied mathematics?

Applied mathematics is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the practical application of mathematical concepts to solve real-world problems. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to analyze and solve problems in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer science.

What topics will I study in applied mathematics?

The topics covered in applied mathematics can vary depending on the specific program or course. However, some common topics include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, numerical analysis, optimization, and discrete mathematics. You may also study more specialized topics such as mathematical modeling, data analysis, and computational methods.

What skills will I develop through studying applied mathematics?

Studying applied mathematics can help you develop a variety of valuable skills, including critical thinking, problem-solving, logical reasoning, and analytical skills. You will also develop a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as the ability to apply them to real-world problems. Additionally, you may also improve your computer skills through learning various software and programming languages used in applied mathematics.

What career opportunities are available for those with a degree in applied mathematics?

A degree in applied mathematics can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries. Some common career paths include becoming a data analyst, financial analyst, operations research analyst, actuary, or software engineer. You may also work in research and development, consulting, or teaching. The skills you develop through studying applied mathematics are highly transferable and in demand in many fields.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to study applied mathematics?

While a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to have a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts to study applied mathematics. Many programs offer introductory courses to help students build the necessary mathematical skills. However, a strong interest in mathematics and a willingness to learn and apply mathematical concepts is essential for success in this field.