Canadian Oil & Gas Jobs: Summer Employment in Tarsands

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of getting a summer job in the Alberta oil sands, and mentions several companies that recruit on campus. It also warns about the high cost of living in Alberta and the potential need to work longer than a summer to be an attractive hire. Finally, it highlights the importance of gaining experience in the industry.
bill nye scienceguy!
Im toying with the idea of trying to get a summer job in the tarsands and I was wondering if anyone could give me the names of some companies I could enquire to. I'm in the third year of a Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Scotland, if that helps at all.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Shell, Imperial Oil, Petro-Canada, Exxonmobile, Suncor, Syncrude Canada are some of the companies I know off the top of my head that are in the Alberta oil sands just because I've seen them recruit on my campus.

If you think you would like to work there because you think you can make a lot of money, think twice. Alberta has an expensive housing market. With all the influx of people going into oil, the housing market cannot catch up so you would be paying expensive rent while you stay unless you can manage to find a bunch of roomies to share or if the company has some housing allowance or their own work-site housing.

www.monster.ca - here's a Canadian job website

You might have to work for longer than a summer (4 months) to be an attractive hire. It's not worth the pain for the company to get you a visa if you're not there for very long.

makethings said:
Shell, Imperial Oil, Petro-Canada, Exxonmobile, Suncor, Syncrude Canada are some of the companies I know off the top of my head that are in the Alberta oil sands just because I've seen them recruit on my campus.

If you think you would like to work there because you think you can make a lot of money, think twice. Alberta has an expensive housing market. With all the influx of people going into oil, the housing market cannot catch up so you would be paying expensive rent while you stay unless you can manage to find a bunch of roomies to share or if the company has some housing allowance or their own work-site housing.

But you can get a good position, work there for a year and get experience.

Where I'm from, it's almost impossible to get a good job without experience.

1. What types of jobs are available in the Canadian oil and gas industry?

There are a wide range of jobs available in the Canadian oil and gas industry, including positions in engineering, geology, environmental science, operations, and maintenance. These jobs can vary from entry-level positions to highly specialized roles.

2. What are the requirements for summer employment in the tarsands?

The specific requirements for summer employment in the tarsands will depend on the specific job and company you are applying to. However, in general, most employers will require candidates to have relevant education and/or experience in the field, as well as the necessary certifications and safety training.

3. Are there any risks associated with working in the Canadian tarsands?

As with any industry, there are potential risks associated with working in the Canadian tarsands. These may include exposure to hazardous materials, extreme weather conditions, and physical demands of the job. However, companies in the industry prioritize safety and have strict protocols in place to minimize risks for their employees.

4. What is the estimated salary for summer jobs in the Canadian tarsands?

The salary for summer jobs in the Canadian tarsands can vary depending on the specific job and company. According to Glassdoor, the average salary for entry-level positions in the oil and gas industry is around $65,000 per year, but this can vary significantly based on location, experience, and job role.

5. What are the opportunities for career advancement in the Canadian oil and gas industry?

The Canadian oil and gas industry offers a range of opportunities for career advancement. With experience and additional education or training, employees can move into higher-level positions with more responsibilities and higher salaries. Many companies also have programs in place to support employee development and advancement within the industry.