Rocket Mass & Accel: 6000kg, 25m/s2

Do not post duplicate threads.In summary, the conversation is about a rocket with an initial mass of 6000kg and a relative velocity of 2000m/s. The question is how much gas must be ejected in the first second for the rocket to have an initial acceleration of 25.0m/s^2. The attempted solutions involve using momentum and the equation v=v_exln(m_0/m), but there is uncertainty about the v_ex value.
iamwilson

Homework Statement

If the rocket has an initial mass of 6000kg and ejects gas at a relative velocity of magnitude 2000m/s , how much gas must it eject in the first second to have an initial acceleration of 25.0m/s^2

Homework Equations

v=v_exln(m_0/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried using momentum to solve the question
6000(2000)=Ft, t=1s, F=12000000, then F=MA,so i 12000000=25m,
m=480000
but it was not correct
then i tried to used the above v equation, but i don't have the v_ex

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have a thread on this very same question in this very same sub-forum.

values, so i cannot solve the problem

I would first like to clarify that the given information is not enough to accurately solve for the amount of gas that the rocket must eject in the first second. The equation provided, v=v_exln(m_0/m), is the rocket equation that relates the change in velocity of the rocket to the mass of the rocket and the amount of gas ejected at a specific velocity. However, in order to use this equation, we need to know the exhaust velocity (v_ex) and the initial mass of the rocket (m_0). Without these values, it is not possible to solve for the amount of gas ejected.

Additionally, the equation used for calculating momentum (p=mv) is not applicable in this scenario as the gas is being ejected at a relative velocity, not a velocity that is directly related to the mass of the rocket.

In order to accurately solve this problem, we would need to have more information such as the exhaust velocity and the initial mass of the rocket. Without this information, it is not possible to provide a definite answer.

1. What is rocket mass?

Rocket mass refers to the total weight of a rocket, including its payload, fuel, and structure. It is typically measured in kilograms (kg).

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. How is rocket mass related to acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that, for a given net force, a rocket with a smaller mass will experience a greater acceleration.

4. How is the value of 6000kg for rocket mass determined?

The value of 6000kg is likely an example or a hypothetical scenario, rather than a specific measurement for a real rocket. The exact rocket mass will vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the rocket.

5. What does 25m/s2 represent in this context?

The value of 25m/s^2 represents the acceleration of the rocket, which is an example of a high acceleration rate. In comparison, the acceleration of Earth's gravity is approximately 9.8m/s^2. This value may also be used as an example or in hypothetical calculations for studying the effects of acceleration on rockets.