How Do You Solve These Advanced Integration Problems?

So you now have \int \frac{u-4}{\sqrt{u}}.Ah!! So then I would have \frac{1}{6} \int \frac{u}{\sqrt{u}} = \frac{1}{6}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{2}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}So then \frac{2}{3} (x^2+4)^{\frac{3}{2}} + C?In summary, the conversation involved a student asking for help with two integration problems. The first problem required using a u-substitution and completing the square, while the second problem required a trig substitution. The experts
duki

Homework Statement

Sorry for all the posts; I'm trying to study for a test tomorrow.

1. Integrate
[tex]\int\frac{dx}{x^2+8x+65}[/tex]

2. Integrate
[tex]\int\frac{2x^3}{\sqrt(x^2+4)}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]u = x^2 + 8x + 65[/tex]
[tex]du = 2x+8dx[/tex]
Stuck.

[tex]\int2x^3(x^2+4)^{-\frac{1}{2}} dx[/tex]
[tex] \frac{2x^4}{4}\frac{x^2+4}{\frac{1}{2}} + C[/tex]
Not sure if this is right so far.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, a simple u-substitution won't work. Why not try completing the square?

For the second one, think about trig substitution.Integrals that need either of these tricks tend to have pretty recognizable forms, so you should familiarize yourself with which forms need which trick.

Last edited:
Also, with #1:

I know it has something to do with the rule [tex]\int\frac{du}{a^2+u^2} = \frac{1}{a}\arctan \frac{u}{a} + C [/tex]

For #1 I think you want to write x^2 + 8x + 65 in the form a + (x+b)^2, then you'll have [tex] \int \frac{1}{a+(x+b)^2} = \frac{1}{a} \int \frac{1}{1 + (x+b)^2/a} [/tex] which you can then use the substitution u^2 = (x+b)^2/a so that you'll end up with an inverse tangent.

#1 - Complete the square

Ok so how about this for #1:

[tex] \int\frac{dx}{x^2+8x+16+49}[/tex]
[tex] \int\frac{dx}{(x+4)^2+49}[/tex] ?

So then

[tex] u = x+4 [/tex]
[tex]du = dx[/tex]
[tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2+7^2} = \frac{1}{7}\arctan\frac{u}{7} + C = \frac{1}{7}\arctan\frac{x+4}{7} + C[/tex]
?

Last edited:
duki said:
Ok so how about this for #1:

[tex] \int\frac{dx}{x^2+8x+16+49}[/tex]
[tex] \int\frac{dx}{(x+4)^2+49}[/tex] ?

So then

[tex] u = x+4 [/tex]
[tex]du = dx[/tex]
[tex]\int\frac{du}{u^2+7^2} = \frac{1}{7}\arctan\frac{u}{7} + C = \frac{1}{7}\arctan\frac{x+4}{7} + C[/tex]
?

Looks good

awesommeeee
I'm still stuck on the 2nd one tho..

What sort of trig substitution?

#2 - Trig sub.

[tex]x=2\tan\theta[/tex]

duki said:
What sort of trig substitution?

There's a standard form each trig substitution. The expression under the radical is of the form [tex]x^{2} + a^{2}[/tex]. Your book should tell you which trig function to substitute.

CrazyIvan said:
There's a standard form each trig substitution. The expression under the radical is of the form [tex]x^{2} + a^{2}[/tex]. Your book should tell you which trig function to substitute.

Too late, Roco did. But you don't really need the book to tell you. What sort a trig function can you square and add a constant and get something you can extract the square root of?

Dick said:
Too late, Roco did. But you don't really need the book to tell you. What sort a trig function can you square and add a constant and get something you can extract the square root of?

No clue. =(
I found [tex]\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{a^2-u^2}} = \arcsin \frac{u}{a} + C[/tex]
Is this what I need?

That has a negative sign.

I don't know. I'm fixing to go to bed to get a good nights sleep though, is there any way you could give me another clue to what I should be looking for?

duki said:
No clue. =(
I found [tex]\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{a^2-u^2}} = \arcsin \frac{u}{a} + C[/tex]
Is this what I need?

Sorry, I'm distracting you. tan(x)^2+1=sec(x)^2. Rocophysics already told you the correct substitution.

haha, I thought someone might say that... I don't know how to use his substitution.
The answer I was given to check myself is [tex]\frac{2}{3}(x^2+4)^{\frac{1}{2}}(x^2-8) + C[/tex]

That's it alright. Sleep on it and check it tomorrow.

lol
I can't. My test is tomorrow D=
Not sure if this type is going to be on there, but I was hoping to get it down just in case.

Let me try one more time. Can you tell me where I'm going wrong? From the beginning?

[tex]\int\frac{2x^3}{\sqrt{x^2+4}}dx[/tex]
[tex] u = 2x^3[/tex]
[tex] du = 6x dx[/tex]
[tex] \int\frac{u}{\sqrt{x^2+4}}\frac{du}{6x}[/tex]

right so far?

Ok, you don't need a trig substitution for this one. Try u=x^2+4. That leaves you with an extra x^2 in the numerator. But that's ok. x^2=u-4.

1. What is the purpose of solving integration problems?

Solving integration problems allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. What are the different types of integration problems?

The two main types of integration problems are definite and indefinite integrals. Definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not and require the addition of a constant of integration.

3. How do I solve integration problems?

To solve integration problems, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. It is also important to have a good understanding of basic integration rules and properties.

4. How can I check my answer for an integration problem?

You can check your answer for an integration problem by taking the derivative of your solution. If the derivative matches the original function, then your answer is correct.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving integration problems include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using incorrect substitution or integration by parts, and not simplifying the final answer. It is also important to carefully check the limits of integration and make sure they are correct for the given problem.