. for choosing major deadline next tuesday

• Programs
  • Thread starter lostnoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, In order to make an informed decision, you should compare the curriculums of different majors.
lostnoob
URGENT.need help for choosing major...deadline next tuesday

i just finished first year life science and i noe that life science will probably nto give me a very stable, ok paid job that i wanted..haha

anywayz...i decided to apply to transfer into FIRST YEAR engineering in the coming september...but...i also got into a combined major of computer science and biology (maybe something to do with bioinformatics in the future)

my question is...let say i go into electrical engineering or computer engineering in the future, how do this engineering major compare to the combined major i mentioned above.

what are the job outlooks in either field...which one will give me better pay..which field has a larger volume of job openings?

also, if possible, what are the outlooks for bioinformatics? (let say i do a masters in bioinformatics)

Looking Foward to Your Replys
THANKS in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, you need to compare curriculums. Post them on here and then I will give you some help, even give som advice from going to lifesciences to electrical engineering? (is that even possible in the states? )

thx for the reply
im in UBC , and don't worry about the transfer part.

could you tell me...between computational biology and electrical or computer engineering, which one will hav a better job outlook, volume of job opening, and etc. after maybe 5years when i graduate?

sry if my quesitons are not clear...please tell me if itz still not clear...i realli do need some expert advice soon

THANK you very much!

Biology + computer science will make you a strong candidate for computational biology graduate programs. And if your goals change, computer science stands alone as a major with good prospects

No major guarantees you a job. Furthermore, we can't tell if you'd be a good EE (to pick an example) or a bad one, and that makes more of a difference than the field you chose. But I will suggest that a class or two on writing will certainly be worthwhile.

Personally, I think that you are rushing your decision as you point out the deadline is next Tuesday. Picking a major is a tough decision.

From personal experience, I switched majors during college. Upon graduation, I received a job in education and just found the environment dismal after three years of employment, so I am now back in college completing a few undergraduate courses in physics and astronomy to prepare myself to enter graduate school. In hindsight, I didn't prepare myself for the future the first time I was in college. It sounds like you are having a similar problem--this is common though.

I think an important point for consideration is to think about what motivates you personally. Is it money or doing work that you enjoy? With such a quick deadline approaching, I find it doubtful that you can make a decision confidently. If you do have a couple of majors already in mind, compare the curricula, and take classes in the fall semester that are complimentary to the majors and that can be applied towards your graduation credit requirement. This won't sent you back financially and will give you time to seriously think about your decision. Note that some colleges offer classes intermittently (every other year), so do take this into consideration or you could be set back.

Good Luck!

lostnoob: Seriously, write out the courses and compare them?! What is so hard about that?

1. What is the deadline for choosing a major?

The deadline for choosing a major is next Tuesday. This means you must have your decision made and submitted by the end of the day on Tuesday.

2. Can I change my major after the deadline?

In most cases, yes, you can change your major after the deadline. However, it may be more difficult to do so and may require additional paperwork or approval from the university. It is best to make your decision by the deadline if possible.

3. What happens if I miss the deadline for choosing a major?

If you miss the deadline for choosing a major, you may not be able to enroll in certain classes or programs until the next available semester. It is important to meet the deadline in order to stay on track with your academic progress.

4. Can I still declare a major if I am undecided?

Yes, you can still declare a major if you are undecided. Many universities have programs or resources to help students explore different majors and make a decision. You can also speak with an academic advisor for guidance.

5. Is there a penalty for changing my major?

There is typically no penalty for changing your major. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements. It is best to speak with an advisor before making a decision to change your major.