What is the purpose of a common cathode in electronic circuits?

• Thread starter zeroground
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about designing a 2-bit full adder with carry in and carry out and displaying the output on a seven segment display. The person asking for help is a student in mechanical power taking an electronics course and is unsure of how to proceed. They ask for hints and clarification on whether there is an IC for a full adder or if they need to make it with OR and AND gates. They are directed to a website for a 4-bit full adder IC and are reminded that answers to homework will not be given. They are advised to research full adders and 7-segment displays and show their work to ask specific questions. The conversation ends with questions about Vcc, ground, and the common
zeroground
1. i want to design a 2 bit full adder (that adds two numbers each having 2 bits) with carry in and carry out and to show the output on seven segment display..

3. the problem is that i am student in mechanical power and i am taking an electronics course..can you tell me what to do or some hints please..

Physics news on Phys.org
answer me pleaseee... what do i have to do ?
is there an ic called full adder or i have to make it with OR and AND gates ?

You can get a 4-bit full adder as an IC:

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4008.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Janus, can u tell me what to do please with my project ?

is there vcc and ground for the seven segment ?

what is the common cathode (3,8) ? does it means that these two pins (3,8) must be connected to the ground ?

1. What is a full adder?

A full adder is a digital circuit that performs addition on two binary numbers. It takes in three inputs - two binary digits and a carry bit from the previous stage - and produces two outputs - a sum bit and a carry bit for the next stage.

2. How does a full adder work?

A full adder works by using logic gates to perform basic arithmetic operations on the two input bits and the carry bit. The outputs are determined by the inputs and the current state of the carry bit, which is updated based on the sum of the inputs.

3. What is a seven segment display?

A seven segment display is a digital display that uses seven LED segments to form the numbers 0-9. Each segment can be turned on or off to create different numbers and characters.

4. How are full adder and seven segment display related?

Full adders are often used in the design of circuits that control seven segment displays. The full adders are used to calculate the values that are displayed on the segments, while the display itself is used to visually represent the results of the addition.

5. What are the applications of full adder and seven segment display?

Full adders and seven segment displays are commonly used in digital electronics, such as calculators, digital clocks, and other devices that require simple arithmetic operations. They are also used in more complex circuits, such as microcontrollers, to perform more advanced functions.