Short Term Memory when it comes to math and physics

In summary, this person recommends practicing problems, doing a mental review of the topics learned, avoiding biochemistry, and staying hydrated.
H.M. Murdock
Im learning math and physics on my own and I have had some problems when it comes to remembering how to do topics about math and physics. Currently I am trying to make more summaries, and a list of math and physics topics in order to remember more about them.

Do you guys have any advice or method in order to study math topics, to apply them more, and to remember them in a less mechanical way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the fact that all long term memory was prior to it's state, short term. Do some problems or study with friends and family.

Aside from practicing problems like kingdomof said, I also like to do a mental review of the topics I have learned (in any particular subject) up until that point. Before I start a new topic, I will say to myself, " Okay, what was the first topic I learned in this chapter (section,etc.). What was the second..."

I will try to remember, in order, all of the topics learned thus far; how I applied them to some example problems (though I don't remember the specific calculations...just how to apply the concepts), and how did one topic transition into another (if it did at all. And if it didn't..why didn't it?)

It only takes about five or ten minutes to do before starting something new. And if you keep up on it, the earlier stuff starts to come really easy and you start to notice exactly what concepts you have trouble with. :smile:

Oh yeah, and drink plenty of water. Seriously. If you search around, I am sure you will find plenty of studies that link dehydration to memory loss (at least short-term memory loss).

Do summaries of what you read, this will help tremendously, as you will then be able to reread this multiple times (whereas rereading the actual notes multiple times would take hours and be extremely boring)

Also, learn to deal with not having remembered the material. Bunch of equations you have a hard time learning? Learn to derive them. You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of independent equations you're going to need on your exams; learn those and use them to derive the other ones. Plus, you'll learn much more this way than by just memorizing stuff. Same thing for proofs; don't try to remember how a proof is done; practice coming up with ingenious solutions.

I myself have practically no short-term memory when it comes to school. I can look at problems I've solved two weeks ago and be totally dumbfounded as to how I ever solved it, then look at my solution and be like, "huh. That was a really smart idea."

Also, stay away from bio.

This might be far too much work, but for fairly large things try to find out about their historical background like how they were discovered/derived and maybe any very intersting uses they've had. It's much easier to remember something with a story to it.

Thanks a lot
I will try putting them into practice

Saladsamurai said:
Oh yeah, and drink plenty of water. Seriously. If you search around, I am sure you will find plenty of studies that link dehydration to memory loss (at least short-term memory loss).

Over here we have sometimes like 32º and I normaly study at 12:00 haha. I will try doing that. I have experienced slight lost of memory due to that.

1. What is short term memory and how does it affect math and physics?

Short term memory is the ability to hold and manipulate a small amount of information in our minds for a short period of time. In the context of math and physics, this includes things like remembering equations, formulas, and problem-solving strategies. Short term memory is crucial for performing complex calculations and understanding abstract concepts.

2. How long does short term memory last when solving math and physics problems?

The duration of short term memory varies from person to person, but on average it can last for up to 30 seconds. However, with rehearsal and repetition, information can be stored in short term memory for longer periods of time.

3. How can one improve their short term memory when studying math and physics?

There are a few strategies that can help improve short term memory when studying math and physics. These include breaking down information into smaller chunks, using visual aids such as diagrams and graphs, and actively engaging with the material by practicing problems and explaining concepts to others.

4. Can anxiety and stress affect short term memory in math and physics?

Yes, anxiety and stress can have a negative impact on short term memory when studying math and physics. These emotions can make it difficult to focus and retain information, leading to errors and difficulty understanding complex concepts. It is important to manage stress and anxiety levels in order to perform well in these subjects.

5. Is there a limit to how much information can be stored in short term memory when learning math and physics?

Yes, there is a limit to how much information can be stored in short term memory. This limit is often referred to as the "magic number 7" and suggests that the average person can hold about 7 pieces of information in their short term memory at one time. However, this can vary depending on factors such as individual differences and the complexity of the information being processed.