Ground state energy of hydrogen atom

In summary, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle can be used to estimate the energy of the ground state of the hydrogen atom. By allowing for uncertainty in each component of momentum, the average KE is found to be around 10eV.
Bosonichadron
Hi everyone, This question is from my problem set this week in my Phys 371 class. Any help, hints or ideas would be very much appreciated!

"Use the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to estimate the ground state energy in the hydrogen atom. Since the wave function that solves this problem is not a Gaussian, it will work best if you use [tex]\sigma_{r}[/tex][tex]\sigma_{p}[/tex]=[tex]\hbar[/tex]."

Where [tex]\sigma_{r}[/tex] is the standard deviation of the radius centered at the nucleus and [tex]\sigma_{p}[/tex] is the standard deviation of the momentum of the electron.

What I tried so far is to get the momentum in terms of the kinetic energy p=sqrt(2m(E-V)) [where V is the potential energy and E-V is the kinetic] and then put V in terms of r, since it would just be the coulomb potential energy...the trouble is that the algebra is devastatingly complicated and rather tedious when I try to solve for E--so it seems like there should be an easier way. Also, seems dubious to have E in terms of r without knowing what r is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bosonichadron said:
Hi everyone, This question is from my problem set this week in my Phys 371 class. Any help, hints or ideas would be very much appreciated!

"Use the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle to estimate the ground state energy in the hydrogen atom. Since the wave function that solves this problem is not a Gaussian, it will work best if you use [tex]\sigma_{r}[/tex][tex]\sigma_{p}[/tex]=[tex]\hbar[/tex]."

Where [tex]\sigma_{r}[/tex] is the standard deviation of the radius centered at the nucleus and [tex]\sigma_{p}[/tex] is the standard deviation of the momentum of the electron.

What I tried so far is to get the momentum in terms of the kinetic energy p=sqrt(2m(E-V)) [where V is the potential energy and E-V is the kinetic] and then put V in terms of r, since it would just be the coulomb potential energy...the trouble is that the algebra is devastatingly complicated and rather tedious when I try to solve for E--so it seems like there should be an easier way. Also, seems dubious to have E in terms of r without knowing what r is.

I don't know if this is cheating, but there is a fact of astronomy which you can verify pretty easily whereby the kinetic energy of a satellite in orbit is numerically equal to the gravitational potential energy, but opposite in sign. If you allow the same thing to apply to the hydrogen atom, you can simplify some of your algebra. Your term in E-V just becomes equal to V (but opposite in sign: that is, the KE is positive and the PE is negative.)

Well if you assume uncertainty in each component of position is of the order of magnitude of the Bohr radius [tex] a_0 [/tex]. Then (approx) [tex] \Delta P_x = \frac{\hbar}{a_0} [/tex]. If average components of momentum have [tex] p_x= \Delta p_x , p_y=\Delta p_y [/tex] etc. Then the average KE is [tex] \frac{p^2}{2m} =3 \frac {\hbar^2}{8ma^2} [/tex]. Which comes out at around 10eV. So not bad for such a crappy method of guessing.

1. What is the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is the lowest possible energy level that an electron can occupy in an atom. It is represented by the letter E0 and has a value of -13.6 electron volts (eV).

2. How is the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom calculated?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the Rydberg formula: E0 = -13.6 eV * Z2, where Z is the atomic number of the element. For hydrogen, Z = 1, so the ground state energy is -13.6 eV. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the equation E0 = -RH/n2, where RH is the Rydberg constant (13.6 eV) and n is the principal quantum number (1 for the ground state).

3. How does the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom relate to its electron configuration?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is directly related to its electron configuration. In the ground state, the electron is in its lowest energy level, represented by the electron configuration 1s1. This configuration allows the electron to be closest to the positively charged nucleus, resulting in the lowest energy state.

4. Can the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom change?

Yes, the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom can change if the atom absorbs or emits energy. When an electron absorbs energy, it moves to a higher energy level, resulting in an excited state. When the electron returns to the ground state, it releases the absorbed energy in the form of light. However, the ground state energy itself remains constant at -13.6 eV.

5. What is the significance of the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is significant because it is the basis for understanding the electronic structure of all atoms. It helps to explain the periodic table and the behavior of elements in chemical reactions. Additionally, the ground state energy of a hydrogen atom is used as a reference for determining the energy levels of other atoms and molecules.