Simple Ray Optics Problem-Check my answer?

In summary, the problem involves devising a way to measure a small angle of rotation in an experiment using an optical lever. A mirror is mounted on top of the rotating cylinder and a laser beam is shot at it from 5 m away. The reflected beam is deflected by 2 mm, and using trigonometry, it can be determined that the cylinder has rotated through 0.0115 degrees. The angle between the incident and reflected beams is 2 times the angle of rotation of the cylinder.
bcjochim07
Simple Ray Optics Problem--Check my answer?

Homework Statement

You're helping with an experiment in which a vertical cylinder will rotate about its axis by a very small angle. You need to devise a way to measure this angle. You decide to use what is called an optical lever. You begin by mounting a small mirror on top of the cylinder. A laser 5 m away shoots a laser beam at the mirror. Before the experiment starts, the mirror is adjusted to reflect the laser beam directly back to the laser. Later, you measure that the reflected laser beam, when it returns to the laser, has been deflected to the side 2 mm. Through how many degrees has the cylinder rotated?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to make sure I was visualizing this setup right. So I drew a right triangle with legs 5 m and .002 m. Then I took the arctan(.002/5) and got .023 degrees. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

In reflection, when the mirror rotates through theta, the reflected beam rotates through 2 theta.

Oh ok... I see an error in my drawing. So the answer is 0.0115 degrees

Okay, so I know I'm missing some really simple geometry here...but I don't understand why the angle created is equal to 2theta and not just theta. Any help would be appreciated! :D

Here the indecent beam is at rest making zero angle with the normal to the cylinder. When the cylinder rotates through a small angle theta, angle of indecent is theta and angle of reflection is theta. Hence the angle between the indecent beam and the reflected beam becomes 2(theta).

okay. Thanks a lot! :D

1. What is the purpose of a simple ray optics problem?

A simple ray optics problem is designed to test your understanding of basic principles and laws of optics, such as the laws of reflection and refraction. It also helps develop your problem-solving skills in applying these principles to real-life scenarios.

2. How do I solve a simple ray optics problem?

To solve a simple ray optics problem, you need to first identify the given information and what is being asked in the problem. Then, you can use the laws of reflection and refraction, along with geometric principles, to determine the path of the light rays and calculate the required values.

3. What are the most common mistakes made in solving simple ray optics problems?

The most common mistakes made in solving simple ray optics problems include using the wrong formula, not considering all the given information, and not drawing accurate diagrams. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct values for the refractive index of different materials.

4. What are some tips for solving simple ray optics problems?

Some tips for solving simple ray optics problems include drawing accurate diagrams, labeling all the given information, and using the correct formulas. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and check your final answer for reasonableness.

5. Can I check my answer for a simple ray optics problem?

Yes, you can check your answer for a simple ray optics problem by plugging in the values and seeing if your calculated answer matches the given answer. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure you have used the correct formula and units.