Horizontal acceleration of a plane with constant vertical velocity

In summary, on takeoff, the combined action of the air around the engines and wings of an airplane exerts a 7049N force on the plane directed upward at an angle of 58.7 above the horizontal. Using the equations of Newton's second law, the weight of the plane can be determined to be 6023N and the horizontal acceleration can be found by using the horizontal component of the thrust force equal to ma. The vertical and horizontal components of the force should be treated separately. In the case of a car being pushed and accelerated on a horizontal plane, the weight of the car would be proportional to the amount of friction if it was asked to be considered.
WHarmon

Homework Statement

On takeoff, the combined action of the air around the engines and wings of an airplane exerts a 7049N force on the plane directed upward at an angle of 58.7 above the horizontal. The plane rises with a constant velocity in the vertical direction while continuing to accelerate in the horizontal direction. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s2.
What is the weight of the plane?
What is the horizontal acceleration of the plane?

Homework Equations

Net force = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined the weight of the plane to be 6023N using Newtons second law and because of the lack of the vertical acceleration it was rather simple. Now I cannot find the horizontal acceleration. I have the thrust pushing the plane forward (7049N) and the weight of the plane (6023N), but I am still stuck with two variables, my restrictive force and the acceleration. Is there something that I am missing when it comes to determining the restrictive force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it seems you've calculated the vertical component of the force just fine, what is wrong with calculating the horizontal component? After that you can use Newton's second law to find the acceleration.

Calculating the vertical forces wasn't a problem because the acceleration in that direction was understood to be 0 thus making it an equilibrium problem. I am stuck on the horizontal forces because I have 2 unknowns and I cannot find a way to figure either of them out.

I know that my [net force = the thrust of my plane - restrictive force - weight = mass*acceleration in the x direction]

condensed that would be something like:
T - R - W = ma

And I just don't know where to go from here.

Yes I broke the thrust force down into x and y components. The y component was the equivalent of the normal force and thus equal to the weight. This is how I answered the first half of the problem. I also have the x component of the force, but not the force that opposes this or the acceleration in this direction. Because the object is not at equilibrium in the x direction I cannot assume that the net force is equal to 0.

There is no force that opposes it. You have not been asked to consider drag or anything like that, therefore to find the acceleration you use Newton's second law on the x-component of the force.

So then what I am left with is

T - W = ma?

You just need the thrust in the x direction is equal to ma.

Ok, that gave me the correct answer, but i would like to be sure that I have a firm grasp on this before i quit monitoring this thread.

I am still confused why you don't include the weight in your net force. Is it because your thrust force is at an angle and you are only using the horizontal component? Does this not call for the use of any vertical force?

Had my problem been dealing with a car being pushed and accelerated on a horizontal plane would I incorporate the weight and frictional force in my answer?

Yes the vertical and horizontal components should be treated separately.

If you were asked to consider friction in the car question then yes the weight of the car would be proportional to the amount of friction there was.

1. What is horizontal acceleration?

Horizontal acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object in the horizontal direction over a certain period of time. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed or direction changes in the horizontal plane.

2. How is horizontal acceleration calculated?

Horizontal acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in horizontal velocity by the time it took for the change to occur. It can also be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final horizontal velocity, vi is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. What does it mean for a plane to have constant vertical velocity?

A plane with constant vertical velocity means that its speed and direction in the vertical direction remains unchanged. This means that the plane is neither gaining nor losing altitude, and is maintaining a constant height above the ground.

4. How does horizontal acceleration affect a plane's flight?

Horizontal acceleration can affect a plane's flight by changing its speed or direction in the horizontal plane. If the acceleration is positive, the plane will speed up in the horizontal direction, while a negative acceleration will cause the plane to slow down. A change in acceleration also affects the forces acting on the plane, which can impact its stability and maneuverability.

5. Can a plane have both horizontal acceleration and constant vertical velocity at the same time?

Yes, a plane can have both horizontal acceleration and constant vertical velocity at the same time. This is possible if the plane is changing its speed or direction in the horizontal plane while maintaining a constant altitude. For example, during takeoff or landing, a plane may have a horizontal acceleration while maintaining a constant vertical velocity to ascend or descend at a steady rate.