What is a piecewise-defined function and how do I write one?

• Thread starter projection
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about writing a function in piecewise-defined form. The function is given in the form of f(x)=x(1-x)H(x-1)+(4x-x^2-4)H(x-2), where H(x) is defined as "0 if x< 0, 1 if x≥ 0". The conversation provides an explanation of H(x) and how it affects the function for different values of x. The final answer for the function is corrected to be f(x)= -2x^2+5x-4.
projection
hi, i missed a lecture on this topic and i am really lost...there is a question that asks to write a function in the piecewise-defined form. i have no idea what that means and its not in the textbook of the course...looked everywhere online and can't find anything on it...

they give the function in the form of [tex]f(x)=x(1-x)H(x-1)+(4x-x^2-4)H(x-2)[/tex]

have no idea how to proceed...dont understand what H is doing in there...can someone provide some explanation and a little insight into this topic...would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check your textbook for the definition of H(x), the Heaviside step function.

H(x) is defined as "0 is x< 0, 1 if [itex]x\ge 0[/itex]".

From that H(x-1) is 0 if x< 1, 1 if [itex]x\ge 1[/itex] and H(x-2) is 0 if x< 2, 1 if [itex]x\ge 2[/itex].

In this example, if x< 1, then both H(x-1) and H(x-2) are 0. If x< 1, f(x)x(1-x)(0)+ (4x- x2-4)(0)= 0. If [itex]1\le x< 2[/itex] then H(x-1)= 1 while H(x-2) is 0. f(x)= x(1-x)(1)+ (4x- x2-4)(0)= x(1-x). If [itex]x\ge 2[/itex] both H(x-1) and H(x-2) are 1 so f(x)= x(1-x)(1)+ (4x- x2-4)(1)= x(x-1)+ 4x- x2- 4= x- x2+ 4x- x2- 4= 3x- 4.

That could also be written
[tex]f(x)= \left[\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ x(1-x) \\ 3x- 4\end{array}\right [/tex]

thanks, i understand...but for the third part...isn't it [tex]-2x^2+5x-4[/tex]? i think u made a small error in the final calculation...

1. What is a piecewise-defined function?

A piecewise-defined function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations for different intervals or domains of the independent variable. In other words, the function has different rules or equations depending on the value of the input.

2. How do you graph a piecewise-defined function?

To graph a piecewise-defined function, first identify the different equations or rules for each interval or domain. Then, plot the points for each interval and connect them with a line. Be sure to indicate any discontinuities or breaks in the graph.

3. What is the purpose of using a piecewise-defined function?

Piecewise-defined functions are useful for representing situations where the relationship between two variables changes at certain points. They are also used to model real-world problems where different conditions or situations have different equations or rules.

4. How do you determine the domain of a piecewise-defined function?

The domain of a piecewise-defined function is determined by the union of the individual domains for each interval or domain. In other words, the domain is the set of all possible input values for which the function is defined.

5. Can a piecewise-defined function have more than two pieces?

Yes, a piecewise-defined function can have any number of pieces, depending on the complexity of the situation it is representing. Each piece can have its own equation or rule, and the more pieces there are, the more accurately the function can model a real-world situation.