Strategies for Simplifying Fractions with Exponential Terms

In summary, there are several reasons why a fraction may not be able to be simplified, including being in its simplest form or containing a variable or irrational number. A fraction can be simplified when the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1, but it may not be necessary or possible. There are various methods to simplify fractions, such as finding the greatest common factor or converting to a decimal. Simplifying a fraction can change its representation, but not its actual value.
Andrusko
Fraction is:

[tex]\frac{1-e^{-x}}{1-e^{x}}[/tex]

and it's meant to go to:

[tex]-e^{-x}[/tex]

I can't make it look like it needs to. I tried splitting it up but that goes nowhere.

What other strategies are there for simplifying fractions like this?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]1-e^{-x} = -e^{-x}(...)[/tex]

[tex] 1 - e^{-x} = -e^{-x} + 1 [/tex]

? Still don't get it sorry...

[tex]
1-e^{-x} = -e^{-x}(... - 1)
[/tex]

What do you get when you multiply both the numerator and the denominator by [itex]-e^{-x}[/itex]?

Or multiply numerator and denominator by the "conjugate", 1+ e-x.

1. Why can't I simplify this fraction?

There are several reasons why a fraction may not be able to be simplified. It could be already in its simplest form, or it may contain a variable or irrational number that cannot be simplified further.

2. How do I know when a fraction can't be simplified?

A fraction can't be simplified when the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1. Additionally, if the fraction contains a variable or irrational number, it may not be able to be simplified further.

3. Can I always simplify a fraction to its lowest terms?

Yes, every fraction can be simplified to its lowest terms. However, it may not always be necessary or possible to simplify a fraction. Some fractions may already be in their simplest form.

4. Is there a method to simplify fractions?

Yes, there are several methods to simplify fractions. The most common method is to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and divide both by it. Another method is to convert the fraction to a decimal and then simplify, if possible.

5. Can simplifying a fraction change its value?

Yes, simplifying a fraction can change its value. However, the simplified fraction will be equivalent to the original fraction, meaning it will represent the same value. Simplifying a fraction does not change its actual value, but rather its representation.