Comprehensive Guide to Mechanical Device Properties

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a table or resource that can break down properties for different devices, such as steam turbines, pumps, nozzles, diffusers, throttle, condensers, and heat exchangers. The person is looking for a comprehensive guide or compilation to help understand the equations and efficiencies of these devices, but the other person suggests that it may not be as simple as finding a single resource due to the various factors and modes of operation involved. They also mention the possibility of referring to a manufacturer's catalog for specific information.
ovoleg
I am looking for a table or resource of any kind that can break down properties for me for different devices such as Steam Turbines, Pumps, Nozzles, Diffusers, Throttle, Condenser, Heat Exchanger, etc.

Basically like for a pump it would be

1inlet
1exit

Mi=Me(constant mass flow)

de/dt = q - w + sum(Mi)(u) - sum(Me)(u)
which would show that w = hi-he

then

dS/dt = 0+0+0+Mi(si)-Me(se) +0 (reversible process)

Si = Se

inlet state is compressed liquid, exit state is compressed liquid, typical efficiencies for a pump.

like that kind of thing...trying to get a complition cause I am working with this book and its confusing and everything is all over the place :(

Engineering news on Phys.org

This information is specific to the particular piece of equipment. You'd have to look at a manufacturer's catalog or use selection software.

Are you looking for properties of the 'devices'? Or of the substances that will be used in the devices? Enthalpy and entropy are properties of substances and not devices as far as I know. But, maybe I am mistaken.

Casey

What you want is to learn chemical process engineering in 1 simple step. I'm afraid that it's not all that simple...

(Almost) all of these devices have "ideal situation" equations... but those almost all again depend on the mode of operation (are you having a gas, liquid?... is it boiling?... is it turbulent?... any solids present (in suspension) perhaps?)

Power of a (liquid) pump: P = g*flow*dh
Power of a gas pump is different... and I'm not in the mood to explain. Anyway, it's not even called a pump... it's a compressor.
The efficiency of the pump (and of the engine powering it) is indeed something that you must ask a manufacturer.

It would really help a lot if you are a lot more specific, so we can focus on just one case and explain that. Now you are asking us to explain you all there is. And all I could do is refer to something massive as "Perry's Handbook". It is definitely "a table or resource", but in fact, it's well over 3000 pages of it... :tongue2:

What is a mechanical device?

A mechanical device is any type of machine or tool that uses mechanical power to perform a specific task. This can include simple machines like levers and pulleys, as well as more complex devices like engines and robots.

What are the properties of mechanical devices?

The properties of mechanical devices can vary depending on the specific type of device, but some common properties include strength, durability, precision, and efficiency. These properties are essential for ensuring that the device can perform its intended function effectively and reliably.

How do mechanical devices work?

Mechanical devices work by converting energy from one form to another to produce a desired output. This can involve the transfer of mechanical, electrical, or thermal energy, and often involves the use of various components such as gears, pulleys, and motors.

What are the different types of mechanical devices?

There are countless types of mechanical devices, ranging from simple hand tools to complex industrial machinery. Some common types include engines, turbines, pumps, and gears. Mechanical devices can also be categorized based on their function, such as transportation, manufacturing, or communication.

How can I choose the right mechanical device for my needs?

Choosing the right mechanical device depends on several factors, including the specific task you need it to perform, the environment it will be used in, and your budget. It is important to carefully research and compare different options to determine which one will best suit your needs and requirements.