Centripetal force with circular motion

In summary, to solve the problem of Tarzan crossing a river with a vine, we need to consider the breaking strength of the vine, the tension at the lowest point of the swing, and the force of gravity. By using the equation mv2/r + mg = Ft, we can determine the maximum mass Tarzan can have and still safely cross the river. The correct answer is approximately 62 kg.
catch-22
This problem seems simple, but I can't get the answer:

Homework Statement

Tarzan tries to cross a river by swinging from one bank to the other on a vine that is 10.0 m long. His speed at the bottom of the swing is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan does not know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1000 N. What is the largest mass that Tarzan can have and still make it safely across the river.

Homework Equations

Fc=(m*v2)/(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 N=(m*(8 m/s)2)/(10 m)
The answer is apparently 62 kg, and what I'm getting is over double that, so I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm really not sure what I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
catch-22 said:
This problem seems simple, but I can't get the answer:

Homework Statement

Tarzan tries to cross a river by swinging from one bank to the other on a vine that is 10.0 m long. His speed at the bottom of the swing is 8.0 m/s. Tarzan does not know that the vine has a breaking strength of 1000 N. What is the largest mass that Tarzan can have and still make it safely across the river.

Homework Equations

Fc=(m*v2)/(r)

The Attempt at a Solution

1000 N=(m*(8 m/s)2)/(10 m)

The answer is apparently 62 kg, and what I'm getting is over double that, so I'm obviously doing something wrong. I'm really not sure what I'm missing.

The 1000 N is not Fc. It is the breaking strength (so the maximum tension the vine can withstand). There are two forces to consider. You have neglected to take into account Tarzan's mass on the vine. Draw a diagram to see it.

Ft is not the only force in this example.

mv2/r = Fc
Fc= Ft-Fg

Epsillon said:
Ft is not the only force in this example.

mv2/r = Fc
Fc= Ft-Fg

I'm still not getting the right answer.

Using this, I've come up with

m=[10m*(1000 N-9.81m/s2*kg)]/(8.0m2/s2), which keeps working out to around 154 kg, still way off. What am I missing here?

Nevermind, I got it. Thanks guys.

maximum tension is the tension at the lowest point
and
tension at the lowest point = mv2/r + mg
works to around 61.72 by taking g = 9.8m/s

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circle, keeping an object moving in a circular path. It is a necessary component for objects to undergo circular motion.

2. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is essential for objects to maintain a constant speed and direction while moving in a circular path. It is a result of the object's inertia and the force of gravity or another external force acting towards the center of the circle.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circle.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than the force of gravity?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the force of gravity. For example, when a satellite is in orbit around the Earth, its centripetal force is greater than the force of gravity, allowing it to maintain its circular motion.

5. How does centripetal force change with the change in speed or radius?

According to the formula F = mv^2/r, centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the speed and inversely proportional to the radius. This means that as the speed increases, centripetal force increases, and as the radius increases, centripetal force decreases.