Is time travel really possible?

In summary: The problem is that both sides think they're right. And since you're all intelligent people, it's hard for you to imagine that someone could disagree with you when you're right. So you all think that the other people are just wrong and don't understand the issue.But you're all right and you all understand the issue. The problem is that you're all thinking about different things.The people who say time travel is impossible (or possible) are thinking about one thing. The people who say time travel is possible (or impossible) are thinking about something else. The problem is that you're all trying to answer the same question, but you're thinking about two different things. So you're ending up with two different answers.
Forgot who it was, but somebody said that it wazs not possible to travel through time because you can't travel -2metres through any of the other 3-Dimensions...yes you can. Stand in your place, and step backwards two metres. If your starting point was at the 3D co-ordinates (0, 0, 0) then after you finish moving, you would be at co-ordinates (-2, 0, 0) .

And i believe that traveling into the future is not possible, simply because we do not know how it will be. If i sit here, in this room and contemplate the theory of time, then in 50 years our world could be described as x .
But what if i want to go out now grab a few lumps of purified uranium and smash them against each other in my kitchen and cause a nuclear explosion. Then in 50 years time our world could be described as xy + x(z +zy) - x^2) . And, by process of observation and a conclusion involving the use of common sense, we can conclude that the two worlds are different to each other.

So then we do create a time travel machine, and we travel into the future-where would i arrive at...? Would i be in the world described as x, or in world described as xy + x(z + zy) - x^2) ? :confused:

Point is, we don't know what the future will hold, and only the divine creator himself does (I won't bring any more religion into this...).

As for traveling back in time-I think our best bet is through naturcal wormholes created by the warping, stretching or tearing of the fabric of space (see string theory for more info...)Thats the most convincing theory I've seen so far on the matter.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
according to QED, positrons and the other antiparticles are just particles traveling backwards in time; a positron is an electron traveling backwards in time. You realize it viewing a Feynman diagram: its horizontal axis represent space and its vertical axis time. Take a look at the book "QED, the strange theory of light and matter". It's an interesting reading and you will see paths of electrons moving backwards in time. Each segment of the path of an electron in a Feynman diagram is called a probability amplitude, and there are probability amplitudes that point backwards in time: in fact if you have an electron you can't predict if it is going to go backwards in time: you can only calculate the probability, that is equal to the square of the length of the probability amplitude.

Last edited:
Saying that present events will affect future events is also saying that events take place in a linear fashion.

If we are able to travel through time at all, I think that suggests some degree of constancy in the course that events take.

In the three dimensions that we can definitely agree do exist, we can still travel through change.

Last edited:
Of course time travel is possible. It is unavoidable.

When you first made your posting, my reply was in your future. Yet, now you have traveled into your future, such that you can now read my reply to your post.

But if shadowman hadnt created this thread in the first place, what would you have had to reply to...? There would be no thread for you top reply to, thus past events do effect current events.

I'm not saying it's impossible. I don't like saying anything is impossible. I'm saying that if we were to travel into the future, where would we end up?

Another conclusion i think i just reached...that any event is never certain, nor impossible-there is only a certain probability between 0.0 and 1.0 that any event will occur-----> Quantam Mechanics

n_n,

You seem to be saying that we cannot travel into the future because it is as yet indeterminate. I contend that this does not hold.

There will be a tomorrow. It is not significant what tomorrow will be for us to recognize that we will eventually arrive there, and that it is currently in our future.

Furthermore, modern physics recognizes that you and I need not pass through the same amount of time between now and then. In other words, it is possible for me to travel less far through time than you during the next 24 hours. Therefore, I can travel not only into my future, but I can travel more slowly than you into your future as well.

...? :uhh:
i don't get it...

n_n

Time travel into the future is clearly possible. Everyone does it every day.

Time travel into the past is not possible.

Time travel into the future is clearly possible. Everyone does it every day.

Time travel into the past is not possible.
Bull. Because you say so?

I am sorry. Is there a question in here somewhere?

obviously time travel is possible-we do it everyday, no doubting that

But what makes it possible to accelerate our travel through this dimension?

n_n,

Instead of accelerate, consider just the opposite, that it is possible to decelerate our motion through time with respect to others.

Are you aware of the idea that the speed of light is constant in space-time. Space-time is a symmetrical interaction of space and time. The greater the rate of motion through one, the less the rate of motion through the other.

The best known example is probably that of two twins, one of whom boards a spaceship that accelerates to near the (Newtonian) speed of light. When he returns to earth, he will find that his greater rate of motion through space has caused him to age less than the twin who remained back on the earth.

Therefore, if one were to board a spaceship and travel near the (Newtonian) speed of light, and then come back after everyone on Earth had aged 100 Earth years, then the person will have aged almost not at all, and so will have effectively moved 100 years into the future. (It is not possible to return, however.)

By moving into the future more slowly than someone else, it is possible to move into the future with respect to him. Rather than accelerate through time, as you suggest, it is possible to decelerate through time with respect to the Earth and others on it.

Lest you consider that this is a hypothetical example that relates to motion at the (Newtonian) speed of light only, keep in mind that this is only a blatant example. No 2 people move forward through time at the exact same rate. We all move into the future, and we all move into the future at different rates of speed.

If you are familiar with Newtonian physics, but not with Einsteinian physics, then this will understandably have little meaning to you.

I believe that time travel is possible

1. Moving faster than the speed of light. If you somehow do so, then you will go back in time.

2. Entering a Wormhole, since wormholes traverse space and time. I think I heard somewhere that wormholes have actually been observed on the microscopic level, but I don't remember where.

3. Sending your mind across time while your body sits in a nice air conditioned room. If you did this, then you would avoid all of the ugly paradoxes that arise by going back in time.

With respect to others.

There was an experiment of which results proved light traveled at a constant speed no matter how fast the source of light was travelling, right? Did that come before or after Einstein's theory of relativity? And how do we know our technology is advanced enough to detect any change in the speed of light?

What is the difference between Newtonian and Einsteinian speeds of light?

With respect to others. This has probably been asked countless times, but I haven't had my turn. So why isn't the Earth twin younger with respect to the spaceship one? Since the spaceship twin was unmoving wrt himself, everyone else should have been traveling near the speed of light, so he should age and they should not.

--
again, the present may affect the future, but that doesn't preclude our ability to accelerate into the future anyway--if time is indeed a dimension like the three we all know and love. A changing landscape (dimension) can still be travelled.

Time dilation

http://physics.about.com/cs/generalrelativit1/a/110703_2.htm?terms=relative+time [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
sarephina said:
What is the difference between Newtonian and Einsteinian speeds of light?

In Newtonian physics, light is the fastest speed in the universe, attainable only by light. Speed in this case relates to motion through space only. Time is irrelevant, except in its ability to be used to measure motion through space.

In Einsteinian physics, light is the only speed in the universe. Motion through space and time is symmetrical, such that an increase in motion through one results in a symmetrical decrease in motion through the other.

sarephina said:
why isn't the Earth twin younger with respect to the spaceship one? Since the spaceship twin was unmoving wrt himself, everyone else should have been traveling near the speed of light, so he should age and they should not.

To give the brief answer, you are correct that each went at the speed of light with respect to the other. Howver, the one in the spaceship underwent accelearation with respect to the other, and this is the critical factor.

Prometheus said:
To give the brief answer, you are correct that each went at the speed of light with respect to the other. Howver, the one in the spaceship underwent accelearation with respect to the other, and this is the critical factor.

But wrt the spaceship twin, didn't the rest of the world accelerate while he remained still?

Last edited:
sarephina said:
But wrt the spaceship twin, didn't the rest of the world accelerate while he remained still?

You are asking if the entire universe accelerated, whereas only the spaceship remained in contant motion. I don't exactly know what you mean by "world", but you must mean more than the earth, as you can't be meaning that the Earth might leave the solar system by its acceleration.

I am not exactly sure how to answer your question, but I will try.

If you accelerate in a car, you can tell that you are accelerating, because the force of acceleartion can be felt. People who went to the moon surely felt the acceleration as their ship left the earth. Therefore, it is not arbitrary which one is actually accelerating. This is not a case of two bodies in constant motion through space at different speeds.

I suggest the following 2 cases:

Case 1: The spaceship is the one that accelerates. and not the rest of the entire universe. This is what I suggested. The people in the spaceship will surely be aware of much of this acceleration.

Case 2: The entire universe accelerated, but the spaceship is the only thing in the universe that remained in contant motion. What might cause this to happen? I think that it is impossible. However, if it were possible, then whatever caused the entire world to accelerate should cause the spaceship to accelerate with it as well. This is due to gravity. Yet, the spaceship did not accelerate with the gravity around it. Therefore, it must have decelerated with respect to the rest of the universe in order to maintain its constant motion. Deceleration is negative acceleration. Again, the spaceship accelerated.

sarephina said:

Unlike velocity, acceleration is not relative.

Time trqavel is inevitable

We are all traveling through time while sitting in our chairs (into the future)

hehehe world, universe... big difference... :redface:

O, acceleration is not relative... I think Prometheus was saying that, but unfortunately, I still don't get it. Wouldn't the same thing (negative acceleration to remain still despite gravity) apply to the spaceship moving at a constant velocity?

But what if we just can't feel the acceleration because our mass is so large that by F=ma (will I get rotten eggs in my hair for bringing up such a tiny equation?), our a is almost (or is?) negligible?

---

Sitting in our chairs and traveling through time... I think that's more like following a current. Can we go against or beyond the current?

check out my other post
faster than the speed of light

if you read it
or already have data

any ideas
lemme know
thanx

There was a time where man thought that the speed of sound was unattainable. We can not say something can not be done unless all possibilities from all future generations have been exhausted. Remeber At one point cars were just a concept.

shadowman said:
Time travel is impossible. you cannot "travel through time" because time is intangible. Time is not a relm or a dimension. Time is a concept. It is a concept designed by early man as a way to track and orient hisself with the daily movements of the earth. The passing of events is what man knows as time. Man also devised the hour, minute, second, millisecond, nannosecond and so on and so forth. These are used as a measure of the concept of time. Therefore, you cannot travel into something is a concept.
Also, look at it this way. Our only link with the past is our memory of it. And the only link to the future is predicting certain aspects of it by information that is happening now. what happened a few hours ago is gone. no more. there is not a " place" to travel to. when a moment in time passes by, it no longer exsists. how can you travel to somewhere that doesn't exist, or hasnt existed yet?

So because man devised time (the hour, minute, second, millisecond, nannosecond, etc.) we cannot manipulate time?

sort of like saying because man devised numbers to keep track of goods, (the integer, floating point-integer) and devised operands (plus, minus, etc.) then manipulating numbers is impossible - since math isn't a dimension, isn't anything "tangible" - its simply man's "out there" creation. Sort of like time.

is that how you're trying to convince us?

shadowman, you are not thinking 4th dimensionally

time is simply a perception motion. Time is not another dimension.
If everything in the universe came to a complete stand still i.e. no motion what so ever you could could still measure x to y but how would you measure time it becomes non existent until motion happens again than between no motion and motion we would percieve time.

Last edited:
freezing of all motion. absolute zero. we haven't been able to achieve that yet. i wonder if time would stop if we did.

If all motion were to freeze would'nt that, to some extent, effectively support the concept of time being a tangible dimension? Of course, this would be irrelevant, since we could no longer pursue the concept in absolute zero!

Just in the fact that matter changes over the course of what we percieve as "time", suggests the concept. This is all relativistic. We can interchange length, height, and width to essentially be one another. The only thing that sets these dimensions apart is our relative position of observation.
So time becomes just the same. It's viewed differently in relation to our respective points in space.
We "travel" through time every day. It's a matter of acceleration/deceleration that affects our points in space/time.

This is a pretty good insight. There are still in general relativity some distinctions between time and space, but they're much weaker and more contingent than most people would believe. You can do surprising things with coordinate transformations.

The main distinction is that there is a sign difference between the time and the space coordinates. Either time is negative and the three space coordinates positive, or vice versa. Either way is OK, as long as you stay with it consistently in the math. The fact of this means that sometimes "four-dimensional length" aka "separation" can be zero, if the time coordinate exactly balances the three-dimensional space length. This is called a null separation, and the paths that light takes are always null paths.

Last edited:
selfAdjoint said:
This is called a null separation, and the paths that light takes are always null paths.

UNtil they interact with something else? ex: graviton :smile:

if e is variable ie" faster than speed of light" what happens to

TIME :surprise:
if some theories of light are saying light can be faster than einsteinian constant :cry:

how would this mathematically for example affect time
given time as function of e
new constants and variables yield new theories :tongue2:

Where I can find an open windows so i can travell to the future

:confused: I know is way to travell into the future I just to bussy into my regular life that i can't see it.

I will give away all i am, if i have the chance to travell into the future and find the anwsers; that all are we looking for.

This is my destiny, my real reason for my to exist

Any one helps or suggestions are wellcome to me...!

Felipe Zerpa

What about the TELEPATHING ?? is there any thing that be achived lately apoun human or any other organisms that breath?

Can't achieve absolute zero in the quantum model. Perhaps in the thermodynamic model. The fact we can get so tantalizingly close parallels how tantalizingly close we can get to accelerating elementary particles to the speed of light. 'Freezing' an electron in it's atomic orbit is equally forbidden. We can extract nearly every bit of energy from any system, just not the very last bit of it.

is anyone familiar with superluminal theory

"faster than the speed of light"
a book
details light traveling faster than einsteins c
im sure others are aware of it :zzz: :eek:

:surprise: anyone

<h2>1. What is time travel?</h2><p>Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a manner similar to moving between different points in space. It is the hypothetical ability to travel backwards or forwards in time, allowing someone to explore different periods of history or potentially even the future.</p><h2>2. Is time travel possible according to current scientific knowledge?</h2><p>At this point in time, time travel is still considered to be purely theoretical. While there are many theories and hypotheses surrounding the concept, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that supports the possibility of time travel.</p><h2>3. What are the main theories surrounding time travel?</h2><p>There are a few different theories that have been proposed by scientists and physicists. The most well-known is the theory of general relativity, which suggests that time travel could be possible by manipulating the fabric of space-time. Other theories include the concept of wormholes and the idea of traveling through parallel universes.</p><h2>4. What are the biggest challenges in achieving time travel?</h2><p>One of the biggest challenges in achieving time travel is the immense amount of energy that would be required. The laws of physics, particularly the laws of thermodynamics, make it difficult to manipulate time without an enormous amount of energy. Additionally, the concept of causality and the potential for paradoxes also pose significant challenges.</p><h2>5. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?</h2><p>There are no known examples of time travel in real life. However, some scientists have suggested that the effects of time dilation, which is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, could be considered a form of time travel. Time dilation occurs when an object moves at speeds close to the speed of light, causing time to pass more slowly for that object relative to a stationary observer.</p>

1. What is time travel?

Time travel is the concept of moving between different points in time in a manner similar to moving between different points in space. It is the hypothetical ability to travel backwards or forwards in time, allowing someone to explore different periods of history or potentially even the future.

2. Is time travel possible according to current scientific knowledge?

At this point in time, time travel is still considered to be purely theoretical. While there are many theories and hypotheses surrounding the concept, there is currently no scientific evidence or technology that supports the possibility of time travel.

3. What are the main theories surrounding time travel?

There are a few different theories that have been proposed by scientists and physicists. The most well-known is the theory of general relativity, which suggests that time travel could be possible by manipulating the fabric of space-time. Other theories include the concept of wormholes and the idea of traveling through parallel universes.

4. What are the biggest challenges in achieving time travel?

One of the biggest challenges in achieving time travel is the immense amount of energy that would be required. The laws of physics, particularly the laws of thermodynamics, make it difficult to manipulate time without an enormous amount of energy. Additionally, the concept of causality and the potential for paradoxes also pose significant challenges.

5. Are there any real-life examples of time travel?

There are no known examples of time travel in real life. However, some scientists have suggested that the effects of time dilation, which is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity, could be considered a form of time travel. Time dilation occurs when an object moves at speeds close to the speed of light, causing time to pass more slowly for that object relative to a stationary observer.