Solving 2kg Fan-Cart Motion: Acceleration, Velocity & Displacement

In summary, a 2 kg fan-cart experiences a 4 N forward force from the fan and 1 N frictional force between the wheels and track. Using Newton's 2nd law and kinematic motion equations, we can calculate the following:1. The acceleration of the fan-cart.2. The velocity of the fan-cart 3 seconds after starting.3. The velocity of the fan-cart 5 seconds after starting.4. The displacement of the fan-cart between 3 seconds and 5 seconds.5. The displacement of the fan-cart between 0 seconds and 5 seconds.6. The average velocity of the fan-cart using the result from question 4.
jammhawk

Homework Statement

A 2 kg fan-cart is in linear motion; it experiences 4 N forward force due to the fan.

Assume that the 2kg fan-cart rolls under fan's force, between the weels and track there is 1N frictional force.

1. its acceleration
2. its velocity 3 second after start
3. its velocity 5 second after start
4. its displacement between 3s and 5s
5. its displacement between 0s and 5s
6. its average velocity using the result of 4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any HELP will be GREAT!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have to show how you would apply Newton's 2nd law and the general kinematic motion equations.

I would first gather all the relevant information given in the problem statement. The fan-cart has a mass of 2 kg and is experiencing a 4 N forward force due to the fan. Additionally, there is a 1 N frictional force between the wheels and track.

To solve for the acceleration, I would use Newton's second law, F=ma, where F is the net force and m is the mass of the object. In this case, the net force would be the difference between the forward force and the frictional force, which would be 3 N. So, the acceleration would be 3 N / 2 kg, which is equal to 1.5 m/s^2.

To solve for the velocity at 3 seconds after the start, I would use the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (which is assumed to be 0 since the cart starts from rest), a is the acceleration calculated above, and t is the time. So, at 3 seconds, the velocity would be 4.5 m/s.

Similarly, to solve for the velocity at 5 seconds after the start, I would use the same equation, but with t = 5 seconds. So, the velocity at 5 seconds would be 7.5 m/s.

To calculate the displacement between 3 seconds and 5 seconds, I would use the equation s = ut + (1/2)at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. So, the displacement between 3 seconds and 5 seconds would be (4.5 m/s)(2 s) + (1/2)(1.5 m/s^2)(2 s)^2, which is equal to 7.5 m.

The displacement between 0 seconds and 5 seconds is simply the total distance traveled by the cart in 5 seconds. Using the same equation as above, the displacement would be (0 m/s)(5 s) + (1/2)(1.5 m/s^2)(5 s)^2, which is equal to 18.75 m.

To calculate the average velocity using the result from question 4, I would use the equation v = (u + v)/2, where u and v are the initial and final velocities, respectively. So, the

1. What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the time it takes to cover that displacement. The equation is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position. It is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position.

4. How can I solve for acceleration if I only have the mass and net force?

You can use the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass. This equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

5. Is there a difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Yes, there is a difference. Average velocity is calculated over a certain period of time and is the total displacement divided by the total time. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity at a specific moment in time and can be found by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.